Nonprofessional using Excavator?

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #11  
A tractor/pan or motorscraper with a dozer for shaping would be ideal barring large rocks in the soil. Boy, I can sure spend someone's money.

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator?
Appreciate all the posts. Eddie, I have to say I wonder how you are going to accomplish all those goals for 2008 when you write such extensive replies.

Again not having used an excavator I'm just not aware of their capabilities. Guess I was figuring that blade they have on them would have some moderate dozer capabilities to push the spoils out of the way.

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #13  
Jerry,

I've made a good start on some of my goals, but don't expect to finish all of them, or even start all of them. Putting it out there just helps motivate me to stay on focus and get them done. Otherwise, I might get distracted and start something else that might take several years to finish.

How much was your budget for renting the excavator? It might be worth your time to buy a full sized loader backhoe. That's what I used to dig my 3/4 acre pond. I would dig so much with the hoe, then haul it off with the one yard front bucket. It took me several months of doing it this way, five days a week. I was worried about the rains coming, so I started piling up the dirt right next the the pond. Getting rid of that pile after I was done digging is what really took a long time.

After you finish digging with the backhoe, you can sell it for close to what you paid for it if you keep it in good condition. Buy 4wheel drive if you can. I have 2wd and wish I had spent the extra for 4wheel drive. Buy the newest one you can with the fewest hours. It's more money,but you will have fewer breakdowns and you'll be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it anyway.

The real expense is comparing how many hours you run it to what the price difference is when selling it compared to buying it. Fuel is a push either way. Rental fees will probably be allot more then what you depreciate the sale price when you are done.

Eddie

Eddie,

My original thought was that I could do it in a week. More I read less sure I am. But hope could at least do it in a month. Renting the Terex TC125 is $1700/week and $5100/month. Hauling is $90/hour. Would hope they could do it in 2 hours each way as it takes me 20-30 minutes to drive it. As you say the fuel is a wash. Not at all sure could find a full sized backhoe for that range that would be in reasonable shape.

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #15  
On a different note, look for another rental co. A cat 322 long reach would enable you to leave your spoils farther away and still get done in a reasonable amount of time.

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #16  
If you downsized the width you could build a Boomerang shaped lake dumping the spoils on the far side from your viewing area . Which would create a mound to plant trees that would attract the birds . It would solve the spoils problem and once established would provide a pretty backdrop to the lake . Weather the Boomerang swept away from you or toward you would be your preference .

Thanks again for the replies. Eric, great set of photos thanks for the link. Dug a couple of test holes last night with my tractor backhoe. Certainly didn't see any water bubbling up though two of the three holes started accumulating water pretty quick. Not sure if just surface runoff or what.

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #19  
You might want to do a post on dam building also. In my area there have been several ponds lost do to poor dam building. It isn't as simple as piling up the dirt.

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #20  
I have a L39 and a PC75UU2 18.000 lb excavator. One thing I found out real quik, is that even with a front blade, excavators cant move spoils. They dig fill and push , but can't carry.