usefulness of yanmar vio30?

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30? #1  

Universzero

Tractor
Kioti ck2610
Hey there, so first post here (though I've read various threads on this and that for a couple years now, until just finally registering).
So, I'm wondering how much utility I can reasonably expect out of a yanmar vio30. I'm an offgrid homesteader type, and this proposed machine will be strictly for personal use on my property, rather than any commercial endeavors. I'm in the western Maine mountains (in a valley of said mountains anyway), on 52 acres. For the last couple years, I've been paying professional excavators to terrace out some of my land, but it's always been difficult to book the good ones, with long wait times which often get moved back and back until it's too late in the season. The jobs have been more or less ok, but there has been much left to be desired on the finish& details side of things. So now I'm thinking to just buy an excavator and do it myself, along with other tasks id like to get done around here, which I'll detail below.
Now, living in this area, rocks are a way of life... as inevitable as death and taxes. I've no delusions that this 24hp mini is going to be able to tackle a big ass boulder or anything. With that being said, I'm looking to do things like dig out a root cellar, a foundation for another house (passive solar, earth bermed, concrete affair), some french drains here and there, maybe enlarge my existing pond a bit, move some rocks around, rip out stumps, and clean up the borders of and build up many areas along my terraces. Efficiency of time is not a huge factor to me...I have plenty of time and don't mind a smaller machine that takes 4 times as long to do something, so long as it can do it with enough persistence.
So, to the yanmar then. I've been talking about getting one for a couple years now, and an aquaintance of mine happens to be selling one. I'm unsure the year, this vio30 has 2200 hours, and is pretty clean, has a blade and mechanical thumb. Its one of those sort of turqoisey and yellow models with a canopy (like something you'd see attached to some carnival ride or something). He wants $11k for it. I've been looking at ads for over 2 years, and (especially now, since the shortages of everything), I haven't seen anything else even come close to that price. Id be willing to spend up to $20k on something in the 40hp range, but there's really not much at all in those ranges either.
Am i right in assuming this is a great deal (if one were to assume that everything was fine on the machine)? And will something in this size be able to do most of what i am looking for it to do?

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30? #2  
Have you compared a 26Hp tractor with backhoe in price vs. the excavator? The tractor+BH isn't as agile in tight places, but it's more useful at more than 1 basic task.

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30?
i have a kioti ck2610 24hp i bought new last year actually. The BH attachment for it runs about 8k, but for a few thousand more, I could just get a dedicated machine which I'm guessing would be better at digging in general, and quicker, without putting additional wear and tear on the tractor, while at the same time, freeing up the 3pt to boot. Around here, even larger sized backhoes on tractors aren't recommended because of all the large rocks one typically runs into, and used ones are absurdly expensive anyway.

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30? #4  
i have a kioti ck2610 24hp i bought new last year actually. The BH attachment for it runs about 8k, but for a few thousand more, I could just get a dedicated machine which I'm guessing would be better at digging in general, and quicker, without putting additional wear and tear on the tractor, while at the same time, freeing up the 3pt to boot. Around here, even larger sized backhoes on tractors aren't recommended because of all the large rocks one typically runs into, and used ones are absurdly expensive anyway.
Nice, you did your homework. :)

What would be the resell of the Yanmar when you are done with it?

You have rocks, I have a pine forest of stumps and roots. Not sure what's worse. LOL

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30? #5  
Ask your buddy to rent it for a week (rental $$ applicable towards sale if you buy). You should know in a week if it will do what you want!

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30? #6  
I have a Kubota KX-040 which is a 5 ton machine. I’ve previously had a L3240 with a tractor backhoe, a M59, and a Deere 310. I’m impressed with what the mini x can do. The 30 isn’t going to be much at digging stumps or large rocks but I think you’ll be pretty happy digging dirt with it. I second the idea of getting a trial run from your buddy and you’ll know for yourself what it can do.

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30? #7  
I think that is a 3 ton mini. Not very big, but the yanmars aren't bad machines and parts are readily available.

The price is great though. I mean if its a functioning machine. If everything works and its not literally beaten to death, you can't pass it up. For us "flatlanders" you'd be luck to find one that rolled down a mountain and burnt to a crisp at that price.

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30? #8  
Buy it...
Clean and fix it up.
Use it.

If you like it great.
If you dont feel its the one than with today's market you can sell it for more than you paid for it.

I have a 3 ton mini and it has been a great help. Its not going anywhere. Have lots of use for it.

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30?
Thanks so much for the collective replies, gentlemen. I know the guy takes very good care of his stuff, and it's definitely not abused whatsoever, but i have my father in law comming to take a look at it, as he's extremely knowledgable and experienced in assessing equipment like this (and everything else it seems). Owning to the current economic climate, I supposed it's like a guaranteed safe purchase (assuming it passes the test) considering I could always trade/sell it easily if it doesn't end up meeting my needs for whatever reason.

/ usefulness of yanmar vio30? #10  
I have both a kubota b8200 with a loader and the same 19hp diesel in a kubota kh-41, 3,500lb micro excavator. Buy the excavator. I have dug out massive stumps with my machine, so big I couldn't get them out of the hole. I had to dig a ramp and pull them with a full sized 4x4 truck. Between the hills and rocks your saying you have a tractor isnt that nimble. Excavators are far more nimble. Think about it you have a moveable hydraulic kickstand you can move to any location to keep your self upright while you possition your self better to dig.