Nickames

/ Nickames #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
When I was a kid in the 50's, everyone had a nickname. Sthip, Chirp, Cow, Fuzzy, Nutsy... What was yours?

/ Nickames #2  
It must be a regional practice -- I grew up in the 50's in NC and nicknames were rare among my contemporaries.

I sometimes watch "The First 48" on Thursday nights. It seems that many of the folks that come in contact with the detectives know each other only by their nicknames.:confused3:

Steve

/ Nickames #3  
Let me start with the fact that friends don't give friends nicknames. People mocking others, belittling them, or maybe even wishing others ill-will do that.

In my childhood, nicknames were usually first spoken buy someone with hurtful intentions. The kids around got a chuckle out of it and then gossip spreads it and everyone gets a chuckle out of the mocking of the bullies target. It doesn't take long for it to stick and now the kid has to endure it because doing anything else would get him in trouble with the school.

/ Nickames #4  
Let me start with the fact that friends don't give friends nicknames. People mocking others, belittling them, or maybe even wishing others ill-will do that.

In my childhood, nicknames were usually first spoken buy someone with hurtful intentions. The kids around got a chuckle out of it and then gossip spreads it and everyone gets a chuckle out of the mocking of the bullies target. It doesn't take long for it to stick and now the kid has to endure it because doing anything else would get him in trouble with the school.

Maybe, in your experience, and if so, I'm sorry for whatever happened. And I'm not being sarcastic.

...But It was not my experience growing up. Everyone in my family, extended family, and circle of friends had nicknames... my grandma even had one, and I cannot imagine anyone in our family allowing my grandma to be bullied.

..Everyone called me "Worm" shortened from "wormy" a play on rhyming, because everyone pronounced my name incorrectly as "Germy".
It was started by my grandpa, and I'm pretty sure he did not wish me any "Ill-will". (;

.. As an adult, I've been called Goose for as long as I can remember, shortened from my last name.
I don't ever recall anyone calling me that in a derogatory way, and if they did, I wouldn't care anyway.

Last edited:
   / Nickames #5  
Maybe, in your experience, and if so, I'm sorry for whatever happened. And I'm not being sarcastic.

...But It was not my experience growing up. Everyone in my family, extended family, and circle of friends had nicknames... my grandma even had one, and I cannot imagine anyone in our family allowing my grandma to be bullied.

..Everyone called me "Worm" shortened from "wormy" a play on rhyming, because everyone pronounced my name incorrectly as "Germy".
It was started by my grandpa, and I'm pretty sure he did not wish me any "Ill-will". (;

.. As an adult, I've been called Goose for as long as I can remember, shortened from my last name.
I don't ever recall anyone calling me that in a derogatory way, and if they did, I wouldn't care anyway.

You are fortunate and I am happy for you but imagine how you would feel if everyone you knew, even your siblings, called you that name with malaise in their eyes.

/ Nickames #6  
I was the youngest of 8 kids and one of my much older sisters married a fellow named Jim,his Dad's name was Jim,and they had a son they named Jim. We were a real close family and everyone got together at all holidays and any other time they felt like it.There were obviously too many Jims so it became Grampa Jim,Big Jim,little Jim and I was Jim Dandy after a song that was popular at the time. If any of you have ever heard Jim Dandy to the rescue you will realize it was a while back.There were sure no ill feelings intended there but thankfully I out grew the Dandy at a fairly young age.

/ Nickames #7  
I was the youngest of 8 kids and one of my much older sisters married a fellow named Jim,his Dad's name was Jim,and they had a son they named Jim. We were a real close family and everyone got together at all holidays and any other time they felt like it.There were obviously too many Jims so it became Grampa Jim,Big Jim,little Jim and I was Jim Dandy after a song that was popular at the time. If any of you have ever heard Jim Dandy to the rescue you will realize it was a while back.There were sure no ill feelings intended there but thankfully I out grew the Dandy at a fairly young age.

Hah. Sounds familiar. My name is Dennis, and I had an uncle on my Dad's side who was also named Dennis. We spent a lot of time together, so they called me "D.G"., as my middle name was George.

/ Nickames #8  
One night my youngest son who was a teenager at the time, gave me a kiss on the head good night and called me "Pop Dog" - it stuck. Still love to hear him say it.

/ Nickames #10  

Same here. You hang around my crowd very long and chances are you will get at least one. They are never given to degrade or bully anyone.