Nice gift

/ Nice gift #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
I stopped by a younger friend the other day and he pulled out a Wilton 4 1/2 inch bullet vise. We spoke about it some and I offered him some advice about how to repair a broken off clamping flange in the swivel bottom. As we spoke he put the vise back together. Then when I got up to leave he said he had cleaned it up and reassembled it in order to give it to me. What a nice surprise! Even though I just retired about a year ago after a 40 plus career machining, and still own my machine shop full of machines, I never got a Wilton bullet vise but always wanted one. Now I have one and will use it a lot.
The vise is pretty old but I don't know when it was made so now I need to try to find out.
20221221_143405.jpg
20221221_143405.jpg

/ Nice gift #2  
That was pretty nice of your friend. Merry Christmas

/ Nice gift #3  
Very nice Christmas present!

/ Nice gift #4  
Congratulations. Those Wilton bullet vises are simply the best. I've not taken mine apart, but have heard they have a bearing in the front. And they always seem to come with a good story. Maybe it's because they live so long.

I bought mine on Ebay 15 years or more ago. It never did show up, and I was busy doing other things and had clean forgotten about it. Until one day our old UPS driver said out of the blue, "Btw, I know about that vise that never got delivered and I know where it is. Still want it? "

I said I would like to have it, and sure enough a few weeks later he brought it by - and sporting a brand new swivel base casting.

rScotty

/ Nice gift #5  
Take it apart, the date made is usually stamped on the key that keeps the jaw from turning.

/ Nice gift
Take it apart, the date made is usually stamped on the key that keeps the jaw from turning.
I tried that but there was no date. I can't even find the model. I found vises similar but the pipe jaws on my vise are held in with two pins and all the other vises I found with pipe jaws don't use two pins.
Eric

/ Nice gift #7  
Very nice looking vice!
I only have 3 Records, all of them got to be 30 plus years old. I have a 5", 6" & 8".
I don't use the 5" right now, but if needed, I could always mount it on a table top.

/ Nice gift #9  
Stamped 9-C1
I found this:
New Wilton vices are expensive! What an incredible gift!
2023_01_01_13.43.07.jpg

/ Nice gift #10  
I stopped by a younger friend the other day and he pulled out a Wilton 4 1/2 inch bullet vise. We spoke about it some and I offered him some advice about how to repair a broken off clamping flange in the swivel bottom. As we spoke he put the vise back together. Then when I got up to leave he said he had cleaned it up and reassembled it in order to give it to me. What a nice surprise! Even though I just retired about a year ago after a 40 plus career machining, and still own my machine shop full of machines, I never got a Wilton bullet vise but always wanted one. Now I have one and will use it a lot.
The vise is pretty old but I don't know when it was made so now I need to try to find out.View attachment 775685View attachment 775685
Shout out to your friend. It's very thoughtful for him. :)