NH TC40A Starting problem

/ NH TC40A Starting problem #11  
I'm going to tag on to this thread...
My TC40D starter does not engage. When I turn the key to the start position the PTO On indicator is also illuminated. I've only had the tractor for 15 or 20 years so I don't recall if that light is supposed to be on at any time other than when the PTO is engaged. I jiggled the PTO handle and checked the parking brake and the range selector. Has anyone had a problem with the PTO switch and how do I find it? Or is there a bundle of wires under the instrument panel or behind cowling below the steering wheel that I should be checking first?
I don't know if the TC40 is the same, but on ours, there is some connectors in the left rear wheel well. Hauling firewood, one of ours got pulled loose and PTO light was on, causing a no start situation.

/ NH TC40A Starting problem #12  
I'm going to tag on to this thread...
My TC40D starter does not engage. When I turn the key to the start position the PTO On indicator is also illuminated. I've only had the tractor for 15 or 20 years so I don't recall if that light is supposed to be on at any time other than when the PTO is engaged. I jiggled the PTO handle and checked the parking brake and the range selector. Has anyone had a problem with the PTO switch and how do I find it? Or is there a bundle of wires under the instrument panel or behind cowling below the steering wheel that I should be checking first?
The following post may help with your issue if you have not already read it:

My New to Me TC40D- Dilemma, fuel solenoid

I'm also attaching some pages from the manual which should help you locate and test you PTO switch, do you also have a MID PTO?

Attachments

• PTO and Seat Switch.pdf
    753.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
   / NH TC40A Starting problem #13  
@greg0145 First thing to do is Check your #2 Fuse... If Fuse #2 is blown tractor will not crank & PTO Light WILL be illuminated.... Check that first... very common problem on the TC's

/ NH TC40A Starting problem #14  
Here is a pic of the Fuse Block....

NH_TC Fuse block.jpg

/ NH TC40A Starting problem #15  
Problem solved! Fuse #2 was burned out. I put in a new one and everything is working fine. Unfortunately it wasn't the first thing I checked because I was impatient to solve the problem before everyone offered excellent suggestions. Thank you showcattle, thclimer, and dlctcg for the links, references and guidance!

/ NH TC40A Starting problem #16  
@greg0145 - Glad you found it... If it continues to act up, which is known to happen on the TC's as they get older do to resistance in the wiring & connectors. You can either get a auto-resetting circuit breaker.... or the better option in my opinion is.... to modify the starting circuit by adding a simple relay so the starter solenoid get direct voltage every time. Did it to ours... works great..

Pic of where I mounted the one on our TC40D
Starter Relay Added to TC40D.jpg

Not my design... Was posted on TBN & is a great guide on what needs to be done...

Attachments

• Starting Circuit Modification.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 71
   / NH TC40A Starting problem #17  
@greg0145 - Glad you found it... If it continues to act up, which is known to happen on the TC's as they get older do to resistance in the wiring & connectors. You can either get a auto-resetting circuit breaker.... or the better option in my opinion is.... to modify the starting circuit by adding a simple relay so the starter solenoid get direct voltage every time. Did it to ours... works great..

Pic of where I mounted the one on our TC40D
View attachment 707524

Not my design... Was posted on TBN & is a great guide on what needs to be done...
I also modified the starting circuit to my TC33D by adding the relay because on numerous unsuccessful start attempts. After the modification it has started every time.

/ NH TC40A Starting problem #18  
Don’t jiggle the leaver, use force and bang that thing up and down. Anyway… thats how I fixed mine when it acted up like once a year. Usually after 3-4 times smacking the leaver in and out hard, it worked for the rest of the year.