NH TC33DA Starter Problem

/ NH TC33DA Starter Problem #1  

bellzey

Tractor
New Holland TC33DA
Intermittently, the starter would not engage when the key was turned. the starter relay clicked but the starter motor would not engage. After repeated attempts, the engine started. Weeks might go by before it happened again. I have seen this before on other starters when there is a "dead" spot on the armature (Tractor had less than 1000 hrs.). Replaced the starter and had no problem for a couple of years. Now it has started again (very annoying). It doesn't happen often, but it can be very aggravating (new starter has less than 250 hrs. on it). It could be a "bad contact" somewhere, but I seriously doubt it. It might by the starter bendix. but the bendix may be in the starter. I don't remember Anyone have any thoughts?

/ NH TC33DA Starter Problem #2  
My first thought would be to "jump" the starter solenoid spade directly to the battery cable post when it acts up. Make up a jumper wire that you can slip onto the spade terminal after removing the existing start wire. When you touch that to the positive cable post the starter will crank (if it's NOT the problem). It shouldn't be too hard to do if you don't have a loader. With a loader, you might need to get a little more creative.

/ NH TC33DA Starter Problem
Thank you for your suggestion. It's worth a try since I have had the problem on two starters. It's the intermittent nature of the beast that is the problem. It might work when I do that, then again it might not. If it does work, the answer is inconclusive because it might not work the next time, and I am right back where I started. If I have the old motor, it might be worth a try to diagnose the armature before I get all greasy and skinned up.

Yes, I do have a loader, and you are right. It is a major deal to get in there to work.

/ NH TC33DA Starter Problem #5  
I agree with @dieselscout80... Check test your battery cables; myself & others on here have multiple posts about the issue & testing it...

The other thing to check, when it is acting up, is see what voltage you are getting at the starter solenoid post on the starter when you turn the key... anything less then 12V is an issue.

I agree with @dieselscout80... Check test your battery cables; myself & others on here have multiple posts about the issue & testing it...

The other thing to check, when it is acting up, is see what voltage you are getting at the starter solenoid post on the starter when you turn the key... anything less than 12V is an issue.
Thank you for your input. Maybe so, but voltage is likely to be constant. Turning the key on and off a dozen times and correcting the issue isn't likely to change the voltage, but you never know. Same thing with the battery cables. Possible that there might be a corrosion problem, but then again, changing the starter once before did correct the problem at least for a couple of years. However, I have been a tech. long enough to know that you never really know what the problem is until you find it. Thanks to all for the brainstorming. It's always good to exchange ideas.

I'm still wondering about the relay. It may click, but that doesn't mean it is making a good connection (i.e ignition points). If there is corrosion on the relay contacts, turning the switch on and off a few times could possibly arc off any corrosion that is preventing a good contact. I'm not sure I believe that, but I'm open to ideas. It's cold and getting to that starter is something I really dread. The loader makes a really tight fit, and I haven't forgotten the last time I was in there.

/ NH TC33DA Starter Problem #9  
You could also do a starter relay mod. You use the small wire on the starter to trigger a relay that would actualy power the starter.

/ NH TC33DA Starter Problem #10  
Intermittently, the starter would not engage when the key was turned. the starter relay clicked but the starter motor would not engage. After repeated attempts, the engine started. Weeks might go by before it happened again. I have seen this before on other starters when there is a "dead" spot on the armature (Tractor had less than 1000 hrs.). Replaced the starter and had no problem for a couple of years. Now it has started again (very annoying). It doesn't happen often, but it can be very aggravating (new starter has less than 250 hrs. on it). It could be a "bad contact" somewhere, but I seriously doubt it. It might by the starter bendix. but the bendix may be in the starter. I don't remember Anyone have any thoughts?

Have you performed the starting circuit modification which has eliminated this type of issue on many New Holland and Case tractors?

Check Post #127:

TC33D wont start