Nh compact buying advice

/ Nh compact buying advice #1  

Smf834

Bronze Member
Tractor
L2501
New guy here. Looking to buy a compact for use in our 5 ac backyard, pushing gravel, clearing trees, move brush etc. I am looking at an ad for a NH tz24da, with 24hp diesel, fel. I can post the link to the ad, but not sure if it is allowed here, asking for eight thousand. What do you guys think? What attachment will i need to move big branches around?

/ Nh compact buying advice #2  
I think you don't give enough information for a person to make an educated price guess. It appears the tractor was produced from 2003 to 2004 so it's about eighteen years old and should have a lot of life left. How many hours are on it? Overall condition? It should have plenty of power for your purposes but is kind of a light weight tractor. Many folks here will probably recommend a grapple for the front for moving big branches. If the tractor is in fairly good shape eight thousand is probably not unreasonable. At the moment used tractors are scarce and expensive.
TractorData.com New Holland Boomer TZ24DA tractor information

/ Nh compact buying advice #3  

New Holland Boomer TZ24DA Attachments​

New Holland 12LA Loader
Loader weight:375 lbs
170 kg *
Height (to pin):69.6 inches
176 cm
Clearance, dumped bucket:49.4 inches
125 cm
Dump reach:31.9 inches
81 cm
Dump angle:43°
Clearance, level bucket:62.2 inches
157 cm
Reach at ground:54.5 inches
138 cm
Breakout force (at pin):1361 lbs
617 kg
Breakout force (at 500mm):953 lbs
432 kg
Lift to full height (at pin):662 lbs
300 kg
Lift to full height (at 500mm):464 lbs
210 kg
Lift to 1.5m (at pin):676 lbs
306 kg
Lift to 1.5m (at 500mm):492 lbs
223 kg
New Holland Boomer TZ24DA tractor photo
2003 - 2004
Boomer TZ Series
Sub-Compact Utility tractor

What attachment will i need to move big branches around?

Bucket clamp-on Pallet Forks.
30" length Pallet Forks are better for yard debris transport, relative to longer length Pallet Forks.

You will need 250 to 300 pounds Loader counterbalance mounted on the Three Point Hitch to prevent the tractor from tipping over forward, then rolling over.

Loader = 375 pounds + payload = 464 pounds = 839 pounds.

Last edited:
   / Nh compact buying advice
It has 618 hrs, comes with fel. It has a repair done to the front axle. If it is worth looking at it in person, what should i look for? Is hydraulics leak common or hard to fix? I am new to tractor. My purpose is to clear some medium dogwood and move brush to burnpile. Which attachment is best for this purpose?

Here is the link to the listing.

New Holland TZ24DA Tractor
New Holland TZ24DA Tractor - farm & garden - by owner - sale

Last edited:
   / Nh compact buying advice #5  
If the hydraulic lines are leaking the big question is why? They are not a big deal to tighten or replace but this is maintenance a concerned owner should be on top of. Are the leaks actually the hydraulic lines or the hydraulic cylinders which may need new seals or replacements? Why did the frame crack? To me that implies the tractor was overloaded or under built. The front loader appears too large for the tractor which could have been a cause of the overloading though the relief valve should have gone limiting the lift attempt. This tractor appears to have been too small for the jobs chosen by the owner. If you buy the tractor the frame may hold (inspect the area carefully for other damage) and be prepared to do (or have done) some maintenance. At the very least you'll want to change oil, hydraulic fluid, and filters. The owner may have never done any of that based on apparent maintenance status. Good luck.

/ Nh compact buying advice #6  
It should be fine for the tasks you listed if you do not try to push it. Bolt on pallet forks will be OK for brush but do not try lifting a pallet with much weight on it....it cannot handle that.

I would put aside $2000 to fix things that may need fixing. That will give you a cushion, If you spend less, you are ahead of the game. There are very few used tractors sold in 100% perfect condition so do not expect a jewel. BTW I put $2500 into my first tractor in the first year and it was about the same size as yours but run hard and put away wet for 30 years.

Unless you like to and/or are able to wrench, check if there is a dealer near you or someone who will work on it. Buying a tractor and needing a $600 part replaced sucks put it sucks more if no one will work on it.