NH 3930 No Start When Hot

/ NH 3930 No Start When Hot #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have a 1998 NH3930 w/192 engine with turbo and when it gets hot sometimes it must cool down somewhat before it will re-start. Also, when i turned the lights on one time while going down the road it died. I immediatly turned them off and it went right back running. Keep in mind this tractor has the new electrics where you don't have to pull a cable to stop the engine. Anyone with any ideas? Oh, by the way i did replace the starter relay but no improvement.

/ NH 3930 No Start When Hot #2  
Check alternator output. Have battery checked at a auto parts store ( load tested). Make sure ground wire at frame has good contact. Make sure you idle your "hot" engine before EVERY shut down.

/ NH 3930 No Start When Hot #3  
Clean the battery connections and move the chassis end of the battery ground cable from the dediacted stud to one of the starter mount bolts. Be sure all cable connections are clean and bright.

/ NH 3930 No Start When Hot #4  
Ditto what Rick said about putting the battery ground wire on a starter bolt. i did this on my ford 5000 when i first got it.. it makes a noticeable difference when starting.

soundguy