NH 268 baler

/ NH 268 baler #1  

jimdoright

Tractor
JI Case 540
New to the site. Been using (and very fond of) a NH 268 baler for over 10 years. (Hobby baling ~ 15 acres). I am considering a back-up or parts baler purchase (just because ... I know 15 acres isn't much). Are parts off of a 270 or 272 interchangeable?
I hate to bug this group with this (and yet here I go). I can't seem to find the right thread or forum for an answer. My web searching shows the 269 was high capacity and had another u-joint on the pto; 270 preceded the 268; and most (not all?) of the 272's had the Wisconsin engine. Other than that, what can anyone tell me about interchanging parts.?
In advance thank you for your time.
Jim in Pennsylvania

/ NH 268 baler
btw, the Case is a 540 serial number (gas) even though everything else on it does indeed say 530.

/ NH 268 baler #3  
I'd say that the only parts involved in a repair are needles, knotter frames, bill hooks, plunger guides, and pickup teeth. (not in a likelyhood order of needing). If you go ahead with some wet hay, needles usually pay the price. Pickup teeth are next just because of mileage.
this is not specific to NH balers, but to the JD models, too. Shear pins are always in demand...

/ NH 268 baler
Thanks for that. (And a specific "yes" to the needles.)

/ NH 268 baler #5  
I have a 273 NH and a lot of parts on the 268 thru 273 are interchangeable. Best thing to do to find a parts baler is to hop on ebay and look at parts you might typically need. Typically they will list a the part for all models of balers it will fit. Its the fastest way to do a cross reference.

/ NH 268 baler
Thanks for that.

/ NH 268 baler
I have a 273 NH and a lot of parts on the 268 thru 273 are interchangeable. Best thing to do to find a parts baler is to hop on ebay and look at parts you might typically need. Typically they will list a the part for all models of balers it will fit. Its the fastest way to do a cross reference.
Good idea. I don't "need" anything right now, of course. Spending too much time on marketplace looking at balers! Thanks for the response.

/ NH 268 baler #8  
Good idea. I don't "need" anything right now, of course. Spending too much time on marketplace looking at balers! Thanks for the response.
I got a 273 baler and it almost identical to a 268. Only difference the 273 has 3-joint driveline where the 268 only has two. NH pumped out thousands of these hayliner series balers and parts are very readily accessible.