Newbie welder

/ Newbie welder #21  
James,
I remember a customer asking me why they couldn't just get by soldering things back together.:laughing:

/ Newbie welder #22  
James,
I remember a customer asking me why they couldn't just get by soldering things back together.:laughing:

Hmm I think I will go solder up a nice subsoiler or maybe I will just use silly putty to stick it together:laughing::laughing:

James K0UA

/ Newbie welder #23  
There is sure a lot of interest from us guys in our 60s :)

I'm 64 and want to start. Unfortunately the local voc-ed started their last class for the season a week before I checked the schedule. I'm on the list for fall. In the meanwhile I will see if my son can get me started.

Ken

/ Newbie welder #24  
There is sure a lot of interest from us guys in our 60s :)

I'm 64 and want to start. In the meanwhile I will see if my son can get me started.

Ken
Yup, I am 62, same as Drew. I want to learn and need something that can help me with my little 40 acre ranch. I picked up a Lincoln tombstone for a song ($50:eek:) from a friend. I need to get some practice on it, but it will do what I am looking for. He let me try it before I bought it. I don't have time to take a semester long class, but an introductory class would be nice. The kind folks on TBN have steered me to some very good video (youtube) and printed welding information. My son took welding in HS so he gives me some guidance. I got my helmet, magnets, hammer, etc from HF. Not sure if my service can handle the load if I take it wide open, but I don't believe I will ever take it to 225!! Now all I need is to take time to practice. :D Best of luck :thumbsup:

/ Newbie welder #25  
What I found interesting about welding is the sense of power and accomplisment it gives the weldor. Before I got a welder I could remove metal all day with a variety of tools, saw, drill, files etc. But I could never put back so much as an iron filing. Oh sure you could bolt things back together, with gusset plates and such and I could solder rather well but it is not the same as a well executed weld. Or a not so well executed weld for that mater:laughing::laughing: Good luck with your welding journey..

James K0UA

Right on--welding is POWER:thumbsup:. And it's a real time saver compared to the alternative (mate drilling brackets,gussets, etc).

/ Newbie welder #27  
Well, I'm also 62 and looking to pick up welding this summer. Seems a necessity when you are living off-grid and the nearest place to get something fixed is 100 miles. I'll be looking for a welder later, after I finish a couple other projects, but meanwhile I am getting a generator and I thought I should see if it is strong enough to run a decent welder before I purchase. Will this Generac 17.5K run a good welder with no problem?

Attachments

• generac 17point5 Kw.pdf
    965.3 KB · Views: 107
   / Newbie welder
109 amps at 240AC, seems like a fair amount of juice, but then I don't know the range of amp requirements. Generac makes nice equipment; I have their 20kw aircooled standby on my house, and it has worked flawlessly, including a two day outage. I think these engines are rebranded Vanguards, but have their own quirky oil filter. Luckily Napa has them.

/ Newbie welder #30  
BoFuller, looks like that generator is going to cost you about $2,600.00. A buddy of mine has a Lincoln 305G, it is one sweet machine. What about killing two birds with one stone.

It's a possibility, but 9500W continuous is really borderline. I don't know if that would satisfy my generator needs.

What does he want for it?

Bo