Newbie looking for critique

/ Newbie looking for critique #1  

Pixguy

Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
I have a couple of tractor projects I'm looking to do so I bought a 110 140V mig welder.

My budget and future needs dictated that welder so here we go....

I grabbed a pic of steel I had and started practicing going gasless. I really have little knowledge of settings.

My first try.
83A669DC-0750-4426-A864-B77FC915E430.jpeg

A few more lines. Started from the right/bottom. The surface started off brushed clean.

DD974A5F-065D-4C95-A6EF-884DE9DC6A9F.jpeg

I'm looking for constructive criticism or advise.

/ Newbie looking for critique #2  
Not enough heat. Is it cranked up all the way? Maybe too much wire feed too. It doesn't look like you're getting any penetration.

I can barely do 1/4" with my old Century 140 (110A). I bought it for sheet metal and it does well for that. For thicker stuff, I break out the old Craftsman Stick Welder.

Last edited:
   / Newbie looking for critique #3  
It’s too cold. The surface prep isn’t good enough either. You need to use a grinder and take it down to new metal. A stick welder will burn through that level of rust but a wire welder isn’t very forgiving about dirt.

/ Newbie looking for critique
I did brush clean the thick steel with a wire wheel but it got dirt as i went along.

The first 90° is less than 1/8 thick and that weld actually tacked it to my metal table.

I will test more.

The latest. Started from top right. To me it looks like I'm pulling back too far but it doesn't seem like it when I'm welding.

08C05C2C-6992-41FE-BBCE-73BCB7A99252.jpeg

/ Newbie looking for critique #6  
Any amount you fall short welding you more than make up for with your torch cuts. 👍

/ Newbie looking for critique #7  
is the polarity set right? mig and flux core use opposite polarity.

/ Newbie looking for critique #8  
Leaning the torch too far back? I do that to see the bead better and get the same look when I do. Better that I weld L to R than say toward me to keep my angle closer to 90 deg.

btw, If that's gas-less, why does it look like you didn't chip the slag or wire brush after welding? Inquiring rookies want to know.

Last edited:
Any amount you fall short welding you more than make up for with your torch cuts. 👍
To be honest, the material came from the transfer station where it was scrapped. See the pics below. I'm assuming it was plasma cut.

BE1452B2-89BF-4FD3-BA7E-B31E44CFD9C1.jpeg

I then cut off the lettering and got this.

C8D07954-0A5C-4FA6-85C5-C7F3BD65B30F.jpeg

is the polarity set right? mig and flux core use opposite polarity.
Not sure how that works. More education is due.

Leaning the torch too far back? I do that to see the bead better and get the same look when I do. Better that I weld L to R than say toward me to keep my angle closer to 90 deg.

btw, If that's gas-less, why does it look like you didn't chip the slag or wire brush after welding? Inquiring rookies want to know.

Possibly.
I did not chip of slag or wire brush.