NEWBIE looking for advice

/ NEWBIE looking for advice
I continue to be awestruck by the insight I garner on this thread. Many thanks. The information can be both a money-saver and a lifesaver.

KiotiJohn wrote…

<< 24" behind tells more about how much lift you'll get as that's where many implements will be when hooked on. Yes, capacity goes down the further out away from the lift point you get. >>

That makes sense and seems to be the general rule and is clearly stated on spec sheets (example Kubota L2800 & L4400).

http://www.kubota.com/f/products/l2800L3400L4400Specs.pdf

However, I am looking at specs on ‘bota B2630 & B3030 and there appears to be 21 lbs. MORE lift 24” back. Can anyone ‘splain this seeming inconsistency or am I misinterpreting something?

http://www.kubota.com/f/products/B2630Specs.pdf

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #22  
When I was looking and gathering data, one of the tractors, an Agco I believe, was shown to have a turning circle of 98 feet.

I would guess that you are looking at a failure of the proofreader to do their job properly.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( However, I am looking at specs on ‘bota B2630 & B3030 and there appears to be 21 lbs. MORE lift 24” back. )</font>
Typos run rampant in brochures and this is certainly an example of one. What one would ask though is, are they wrong about the 24" aft, or the other? Makes me crazy at times.

John

It has been recommended that I ask the dealer to fill my tires as part of the final deal. I understand that tires are filled with some type of calcium solution. Are all 4 tires filled? Is calcium the only substance used as liquid ballast? How does this effect tire pressure? Is filling tires pretty much standard practice? If yes, how much should I be willing to pay to have the tires filled should the dealer not agree to do this as part of the deal?

Lotsa questions, I know.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #25  
Rather than fill the tires with CC, you should look into getting Rim Guard (aka beet juice). It's heavier, non-corrosive (it won't eat away at your rims) and much more environmentally friendly. Do a search here on TBN for Rim Guard and see for yourself.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #26  
My dealer filled my tires with windshield washing fluid. Like Calcium, it won't freeze in the winter, but unlike calcium, won't eat away at my tractor or garden if it leaks. For added weight and stability, I also added a ballast box to the rear. I have modified it a bit so it is a toolbox/quick change implement switch when I am not using my FEL. I drilled a 1/2" hole through the metal seat at the bottom, and now use that as my "hitch" for changing from utility cart to spreader, aerator, roller, etc. When I have my FEL attached, its less useful because I have to fill it with retaining wall blocks for weight balance.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #27  
Whatever you decide to fill the tires with...as long as you do it. I've realized much superior traction and stability and less bouncing around as on non-filled tires. There is much less tire deflection under heavy load as well. I filled my own so I was able to notice a real difference.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #28  
The dealer should do it as part of the deal. But, don't use calcium. Mine are filled with a citrus based solution of some sort.

First, I fired off an email to 'bota two days ago regarding their apparent misprint (see previous posts). I found the following reply in my inbox today:

Mr. XXXXX,
The B2630 does not have more lift capacity 24" behind than it does at the lift point. The lift capacity at the lift point is 2140 lbs. and 24" behind is 1676 lbs. Thank you for bringing the error on our website to our attention.

Regarding filling tires, thanks for the useful and interesting information. Are all 4 tires customarily filled or only rear? And does one check the tire pressure with a standard pressure gauge? (I was thinking of filling them with Budweiser and checking the pressure with a straw)

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( (I was thinking of filling them with Budweiser and checking the pressure with a straw) )</font>
Thanks for the good laugh, I needed that!

Many brands dissuade from filling front tires. Check you manual or the dealer before doing so.
John