NEWBIE looking for advice

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #1  

citytransplant

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
The Challenge: Just bought small old country home on almost 7 acres of property. A small creek runs across the entire property, dividing it into two. Home, 2-stall horse shed and about 3/4 acre fenced pasture sits on one side of creek covering about 2 acres. On the other side of the creek there is 1 acre clear and about 4 acres of woods. I need a compact tractor with loader (and possible backhoe?) to clear brush for more horse elbow room, haul manure, groom pastures, build culvert to cross creek, install tile drainage and probably a million other things.

To add to The Challenge, I have never even SAT ON a tractor, let alone driven one. Lived in the city all my 49+ years.

I am looking at a new Farmtrac 270DTC that just happens to be sitting on a dealer lot about 3 miles from my home. I drive by that pretty blue gal every day and she seems to be calling my name. I am not partial to any one brand. The Farmtrac just happens to be nearby and the price seems to be within my means.

Two questions: 1) Is this machine a good fit for my needs? 2) Is it assumed that the dealer asking price is simply that, a price they would love to get but seldom do. Is it customary to haggle over price when it comes to a new tractor or is it like Walmart where what is on the sticker is what comes out of your wallet? I have purchased a number of automobiles, both new and used, thus know the whole haggle routine. I have never paid sticker price for a car and don’t want to for a tractor. I am simply looking for some purchasing strategies.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #2  
First off, Get to know the dealer. Find out how well he supports his product in case the undesireable breakdown should occur. The relationship with your dealer is one of the most important parts of the equation. A stubborn or neglectful dealer, no matter the quality of the product is a recipe for disaster. Also, get to know the other competitive dealers. Get a feel for where they stand with their product and how eager they are to spend time with you answering any questions you may have without regard for whether or not you are ready to purchase.

Secondly, I would suggest that you get familiar with more than just one tractor. Test drive the Farmtrac along with the competing brands from other dealers. Get a feel for what is the most comfortable for you. It is not wise to buy something you know little about or have not made comparisons to other product that is available.

As far as the capability of the 27DTC, I can't say, but I'm sure others will pipe in on that.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #3  
Excellent tractor. It is a very nice size for the type of work on the property size you are working on. Although I represent the Montana line the 270DTC is the same as he Montana 2740 and we have many, many happy customers. The loader is different and I don't know those specs but that is a fine machine.

The tractor is manufactured by LG now LS and has some excellent features. One thing I like on this size tractor is that the space for the operator is comfortable, pretty spacious.

It is a shuttle and not a hydrostat. Be sure a shuttle is what you want as it is gear driven so requires the operation of the clutch but I prefer a shuttle over hydro in most cases. That is a personal preference and you will see many debates here on the merits of both.

The tractor is very reliable as I have many of them in the field and they perform extremely well. I would, like already suggested, talk to the dealer, drive the machine, evaluate the features and the price. If all of those things are good then I would really consider it as the quality is excellent and parts are easy to get get. You won't be disappointed in performance as it will work day in and day out.

Best of luck.

Maka

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #4  
As Maka did I too will sing the priases of the FarmTrac 270DTC. We have sold lots of them and they seem to perform great. Given your lot size and plans for the tractor I think the 270 would be a perfect fit. The loader that FarmTrac builds for that machine is very nice also, and comes standard with a quick attach bucket (skid steer type).

As for the dealer just make sure you feel comfortable with them. Ask the salesman for customer references in your area. Check out the service deparment. Look at the parts deparment and make sure they stock all the major parts. If you are comfortable with the dealer...and I promise you that you will be getting a quality machine...then I would jump at the deal. Plus its hard to pass up that 0% for 48 months FarmTrac has going on right now!

/ NEWBIE looking for advice
Thanks to you folks for the worthwhile suggestions. I have spent hours on this board and have learned plenty.

On another thread, a post recommends... “HST for the loader work”

Why would hydro (if indeed HST is an acronym for hydrostatic tranny) be better for loader work? The Farmtrac mentioned above does not have hydrostatic tranny. What are the pros and cons between HST and shuttle shift? And what is shuttle shift exactly? Is it similar to standard transmission on an automobile? If yes, why is it called "shuttle shift?"

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #6  
Hydrostatic allows for very convenient and fine control of your tractor. Some employ separate forward and reverse petals, while others have a single rocker "petal" that you push forward with your toe or backward with your heal, see-saw like. Much like the accelerator pedal on your car, the further down you push the pedal the faster you go. Barely touch the petal, and move ever so slowly. Release the petal and stop (except on steep hills). HST is convenient for work that requires a lot of short distance back and forth motion, like loader work or plowing snow. It is also the absolute best for finish mowing, allowing you to go very slowly around flower beds, lawn furniture, etc. and immediately speed up when in the open. HST's are mechanically more complicated than manual trannys and they steal away a few extra horsepower from the PTO.

Shuttle shift is a manual transmission where you set your operating range and gear, and then use a separate single lever to engage forward and reverse. Many tractors are now synchronized. So, you can shift gears on the fly like in a car. Some have syncro shuttles which let you shift from forward to reverse without stopping. Though I would not recommend doing this even on those machines. Operation of the shuttle does required using the clutch, which can be fatiqueing, and sometimes you feel like you need a third arm to operate loader, steer and shuttle all at the same time. The real advantage here, besides costing less, is constant and powerful ground speed and more hp to the pto.

I have an HST in my JD425 and shuttle on my Kioti CK25. I like them both for how I use them. I find the shuttle just fine for loader work. The JD is for mowing and snowplowing. The CK25 is for digging and hauling.

As others have said, look at many brands. I suggest looking at Deere, New Holland, Kioti, Kubota, Agco, Hahindra, and Tym. Also, consider carefully what the MAJOR tasks will be for your tractor. Let the most important ones help you down select. If mowing or bush hogging then PTO hp and HST might be critical. If digging, then weight, hydraulic pump capacity, and loader specs might be most important. If your land is hilly, then look closely at stability, foot print, center of gravity.

For that much land and pasture, I would think you would want a machine having at least 30 hp so you can pull a pretty good size mower. Get the biggest, baddest, best tractor you can afford, and get all the toys (....err....tools) along with it. If moving alot of brush or trees, then a grapple on your FEL and/or backhoe will be very helpful too.

Tom

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #7  
Hydrostatic transmissions run the tractor back and forth at the push of a pedal, either one for forward and one for reverse, or by a rocker pedal (push with toe to goe forward, heel to go back). Advantage is quickly going front to back with near infinite speed control within a given range (usually two or three ranges on compact tractors). Disadvantage is usually a little more expensive than gear or shuttle tractor and is mildly more inefficient (robs a hp or two from the PTO). Also usually have to keep engine RPMs up high to get the most out of it - not really a big deal, but the noise may bother some folks. Most folks consider them to be more user friendly. Doesn't really equate to an automatic transmission.

Shuttle shift allows a tractor to go backwards or forwards in a given gear - can be either manual shuttle (press clutch and shift lever), or power shifted, and I think there are a couple of different ways that the shifting can be accomplished without clutching, but I don't know enough to speak intelligently. Good for general work, easy back-and-forth, a reverse in every gear, but you still have to shift using hands and possibly (probably) a clutch. Advantage - cheaper than hydro and good for loader work and general use. Disadvantage - might take a little longer to get the hang of than a HST, but maybe not (very operator dependent).

Of course, there is also a straight gear drive tractor that will have 3 or 4 forward speeds and one reverse in a given range, you have to clutch in between each gear, not as handy (most older ag tractors are set up like this). Advantage - cheap. Disadvantage - a lot of clutch and shifting (and usually not a straight line shift either)

In the end, you should probably test drive each type and decide which one you like best for your application and budget.

Please note - this is a greatly simplified version of what can degenerate into one of the greatest debates on TBN, so I encourage you to search and test drive, draw your own conclusions and reach your own decisions. Good luck.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #8  
I won't add anything regarding the choice of tractor because I don't have a lot of experience with many brands, but I will say something about a tractor-mounted backhoe.

I have about the same amount of land as you with similar needs (I don't have any interest in horses but do plan to grow a few things). I bought a tractor with loader and backhoe, and although the backhoe is very useful, a lot of fun to use, and can do most anything I would ask a backhoe to do, if I had it to do over I would not have bought it. What I find is that it spends 99% of the time stored in my garage, taking up a considerable amount of room, and is just hard enough to put on and take off that I avoid using it. Also, when trenching, a small excavator that can travel along the trench would be more efficient. So I would recommend renting a machine whenever a backhoe is needed - you'll have your choice between a full-sized backhoe, a mini-excavator, or trencher depending on the particular job, and it would take a long time to lose money over buying the backhoe attachment.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #9  
Be sure you get a tractor with an FEL for those "million other things". Bought a 21HP Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL last May (cost: $12,600 plus tax) and have found lotsa uses for the FEL that I never imagined.

I have 10 acres of flat, grazing land with 30 almond trees left over from an old orchard and with about 3/4 acre to be (eventually) landscaped. The Bota has ag tires (came as part of the deal) so it's not particularly useful on landscaped areas. Turf tires/wheels for the tractor would set me back at least $700 so I use a cheapie 18HP/42" wide Huskee lawn tractor to mow the lawn.

For the weeds, I have a King Kutter 4-ft rotary mower (aka brush hog, bush hog, $675 from Tractor Supply Co). I mow 7 acres of weeds and that takes all day moving slowly in low gear. With a larger tractor in the 30HP range I could handle 5-ft wide implements and cut down the time it takes for this kind of chore. A hog like mine will cut 1" saplings with ease. If your brush is larger than this, you'll need a bigger hog and a larger tractor.

Also have a 4-ft box blade scraper (KK, $375 at TSC) to handle ground leveling jobs. Lotsa folks use a BB on their gravel driveways. I've used the BB and FEL to cut 4'-wide trenches for paver block walkways in the front and rear sides of the house. If the rain ever stops here in the North Valley I'll use the BB to scrape the weeds/turf from the areas I plan to landscape.

According to the invoice, the 7510HST cost was $10,000 and the FEL $2600. Considering all the use I've gotten, I figure I've recovered the FEL cost in less than a year.

/ NEWBIE looking for advice #10  
You may want to "think outside the barn" -- sorry for the bad pun, but since you're not going to really farm, why consider only a farm-type tractor...

Check out this ltopic about Power Trac "tool carrires" instead of a more traditional tractor