New Yanmar YM Series Tractor

/ New Yanmar YM Series Tractor #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
Have you guys been tracking the release of Yanmar’s new “YM Series” tractors? They’re an economy sister series to the high-tech YT series and come with synchronized shuttle shift transmissions and are open station only. Available in 42hp, 47hp, and 59hp.

1) Entire tractor built by one company

2) Yanmar engine plus mechanical shuttle shift transmission seems like it’ll be super reliable.

3) The economy loader is strong and moves the hydraulic connections up high and out of danger from under the tractor.

4) The ROPS appears to fold down low allowing the tractor to fit inside a standard 7ft garage (this is a big deal for me)

5) Good ground clearance

6) Standard rear remote and available third function

7) Lots of horsepower for the money. 47hp for mid to high $20k’s

8) 10 year power train warranty

Dislikes:

1) Don’t know if the clutch needs to be used to change direction. If so, that’s a game changer.

2) Only two rear remotes available

3) Don’t know if the third function is a factory installation or an aftermarket add-on.

4) Fuel tank seems exposed to potential damage.

What y’all’s take on it?

View attachment 722389View attachment 722390

Last edited:
   / New Yanmar YM Series Tractor #3  
I have a 40 year old YM2310 with Power Shift. If the shuttle shift is anything like the Power Shift then it oughta be good. My tractor can be reversed without the clutch and the system seems to be very robust from what I've read. If I was shopping for a new tractor I would certainly be looking at the economy YM tractors.
Eric

/ New Yanmar YM Series Tractor
Tractor Bob’s out in Oklahoma has been producing a lot of content on YouTube and they just uploaded this really good video on the new Yanmar YM series.

/ New Yanmar YM Series Tractor #5  
Any new feedback on the YM series?

I’ve seen several dealerships picking up the Yanmar line in my area of south LA/MS. There were no dealers within 100 miles 6 months ago, now there are several.

Do you have to clutch the shuttle shift to swap between fwd/rev?

The YM359 looks like a lot of tractor. Plenty of hp for a bushhog or wood chipper. Filling the rears would get the bare weight up to a respectable amount for pushing/pulling.

/ New Yanmar YM Series Tractor #6  
You are not required to use the clutch to change between forward and reverse, however you are required to slow down. You do have to use the clutch and stop to change ranges.

/ New Yanmar YM Series Tractor #7  
You are not required to use the clutch to change between forward and reverse, however you are required to slow down. You do have to use the clutch and stop to change ranges.
Are you saying the new YM Series has no neural to shuttle into?

/ New Yanmar YM Series Tractor #8  
Are you saying the new YM Series has no neural to shuttle into?
There is a neutral on the reverser lever, one on the range selector, and one on the main shift lever. That would be a total of 3 places to put the tractor into neutral. All shifting is designed to use the clutch, the range selector requires the tractor to be stopped.

/ New Yanmar YM Series Tractor #9  
There is a neutral on the reverser lever, one on the range selector, and one on the main shift lever. That would be a total of 3 places to put the tractor into neutral. All shifting is designed to use the clutch, the range selector requires the tractor to be stopped.
So it does work like the original YM series then. That is super. Long as the machine stays in the selected range, there are forward shuttle gears, neutral, and reverse all without using the clutch. This makes for a 'live' PTO in the elected range too.

With the original YM series, if the tractor comes to a full stop on level ground, you don't have to clutch to jump the range selector to a different operating band. Only for PTO would you need it. For the most part, I only use the clutch to start and to engage the PTO now.

/ New Yanmar YM Series Tractor #10  
Not sure it works exactly like the original.