New TYM (Branson) 5520C

/ New TYM (Branson) 5520C #1  

RedStuff

Tractor
Branson TYM 5520C
So, I have a new tractor being delivered tomorrow. It’s a Branson 5520C with TYM badges. It’s my 3rd Branson. 4220i, 5220C, and now the 5520C. The previous Bransons never had any regen/emissions. Can anyone describe problems, if any, you’ve had with the regen? I’d like to know what I just got myself into.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpeg
    IMG_0895.jpeg
    671 KB · Views: 73
   / New TYM (Branson) 5520C #2  
Congratulations! Very nice tractor and I think you will enjoy the 4 ranges over your previous models mainly because of how easy it will shift.

I doubt you will have much issue with the emission system but if you do, it can go away without much effort.

/ New TYM (Branson) 5520C #3  
It seems the key component to avoiding most regen is to work your tractor at 1800-2000 rpm. I've got your tractor's TYM cousin. Same engine, including the turbo.

If you do need to regen, just up your RPM and keep working until it is done.

If, after your warranty has expired, you don't want to deal with it, you can bypass the filter and still work.

/ New TYM (Branson) 5520C #4  
My Branson manual says to do a parked regen. Same motor, no turbo. Never had to regen yet, so no experience.

And yes, the 4 range selector is smooth as butter.

/ New TYM (Branson) 5520C #5  
It seems high engine speed is key. I'm old school and want to run that diesel at 1,000 rpm. Takes getting used to, to keep the rpm above 1,800 when the job at hand does not require that much horse power.

/ New TYM (Branson) 5520C
Thank you for the responses. I feel better now. For engine break in, most folks seem to favor loading the engine gradually for the first hour or so, then run it hard, varying the RPM to seat the rings. Decent plan? Also, as I understand, this is the same engine as the 48hp with the added turbo to make 55hp. Let’s say that the turbo went out just past the warranty period, could it be removed and just run it as a 48? I was wondering about that.

/ New TYM (Branson) 5520C #8  
I've had bad luck with turbos, thats why I got the 4820. But since this engine is mechanical, I would assume removing turbo won't be that hard ...

/ New TYM (Branson) 5520C #9  
Turbos are pretty resilient anymore. I doubt you will ever have a problem with the turbo. I have never heard of anyone with the 5520 having turbo issues but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

/ New TYM (Branson) 5520C #10  
I would expect that it is also getting a bit more fuel along with the turbo to make the hp.
She'd be a smokey thing without the turbo. As has been said turbos are quite reliable,
give them a minute or two to cool after being worked and good oil they work for a long time.