New Tractor Sales Are Declining

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New Tractor Sales Are Declining #41  
Several put off tractors because of the take it or leave it nothing on the lot and now they have decided just to keep what they have...

It does seem we have more cycles of feast or famine than I remember...

Couldn't get contractors for love or money a year ago and now they are calling me looking for work...

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #42  
Precious metals, too. Real estate market poised to collapse. Every investment is in the toilet, unless you’re an “insider”.
Add to that 41 year high inflation and the highest fuel prices in history and we have the worst economic forecast of my lifetime.
It’s happening worldwide.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #43  
I have no idea what will happen with tractor buying over the next couple of years, but what I have learned is that you can get a much better deal once "tractor season" is over and before "tractor season" begins again in the Spring.

Last year, I noticed that prices where starting to jump on used tractors, which is what I was looking at. Reading posts on here about other brands, and deals that where being offered, convinced me to look at buying new. I was able to lock in my price for a brand new Massey Ferguson last November that was what they where advertising as a "Sales" price the beginning of the year. That with zero percent interest convince me to take the plunge and sign the papers. My tractor arrived in June. I waited 7 months for it, and ended up with a 2022 model instead of a 2021, which turned out to be very fortunate for me since they upgraded a few things, like the AC. By the time I got my tractor, the "Sales" price that I was seeing advertised in Missouri and Mississippi was $9,000 more then my price.

I haven't kept up with pricing, but I think there was a spike that may or may not continue. I haven't seen any indication that materials or labor is declining. If I was buying now, I don't think I would be comfortable paying that much money for a new tractor, but when I started looking, I wasn't comfortable with paying $55,000 for a tractor either. I'm still not comfortable with that amount, but it is what it is, and sometimes you have to go outside your comfort zone to get what you want.

Since buying the tractor, I've been amazed at how much more I can get done. My other tractor is half the size of this one and probably a quarter of the speed at getting my place mowed. It's really night and day different. Pay now for what you can use now is probably the most important part of tractor buying. With Winter coming, it's probably the best time to buy!!!

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining
Just drove past 3 Kubota dealers between eastern PA and central Ohio. Saw 4 Kubota dealerships. Lots were very full of orange steel & plastic.
Same here in my neck of the woods. I drove down to my local dealer in the spring of this year to get a price on one of his tractors and he was practically asking MSRP minus $700 which was a rebate from Kubota. Told me how if I wanted one I better buy that day because he already had all the other ones in the crates sold. Something in my intuition told me he was lying so I waited him out to see if he was telling the truth. 6 months later and he hasn't sold a one of those tractors. They're all sitting outside his new place with for sale signs.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #45  
Same here in my neck of the woods. I drove down to my local dealer in the spring of this year to get a price on one of his tractors and he was practically asking MSRP minus $700 which was a rebate from Kubota. Told me how if I wanted one I better buy that day because he already had all the other ones in the crates sold. Something in my intuition told me he was lying so I waited him out to see if he was telling the truth. 6 months later and he hasn't sold a one of those tractors. They're all sitting outside his new place with for sale signs.
So did you make him an offer on the one you'd like? :)

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #46  
Suspect you're going to wait the dealer out since Powell said the Fed would raise the Fed funds rate another 1-1.25% by year end projecting the rate to be "restrictive" through at least 2023 to get back to the inflation target of 2%.

Once we get though this year's holiday sales, will be interesting to see where the economy stands in February, 2023.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #47  
They are also predicting historically low GDP gains for years to come. This will be a long lived downturn. 2023 will be the beginning. Unless you believe some pundits who say “there is nothing to see here, this is the best we have ever seen”.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining
So did you make him an offer on the one you'd like? :)
There was no point at that time. When you have a dealer talking like that they are firm on their asking price so all you can do is wait them out. He just built a big, new place just a few miles down the road from the old one. I bet he spent somewhere around $7-8 million on it so you combine that with cooling and maybe freezing market conditions next year and he will be left with only one option.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #49  
Tractor lots in my area are starting to overflow....Industry is just too slow to ramp up. By the time they have the machines to the dealer the economy has completely shifted in a different direction.
That GA factory is going to scale back quickly....

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #50  
They are also predicting historically low GDP gains for years to come. This will be a long lived downturn. 2023 will be the beginning. Unless you believe some pundits who say “there is nothing to see here, this is the best we have ever seen”.

The only diamond in the rough is rising interest rates on short term, low risk investments. I can throw money in 3 month CDs now and make almost 4%. Hoping they get up to 8% soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

PALLET W/GOOSENECK HITCHES, GN TO FIFTH WHEEL HITCH (A34011)
PALLET W/GOOSENECK...
Shop table (A34236)
Shop table (A34236)
Vermeer SC252 Walk Behind Stump Grinder With S/A Trailer (A32932)
Vermeer SC252 Walk...
40' Container (A34302)
40' Container (A34302)
2019 Caterpillar 308CR Midi Excavator, (A33078)
2019 Caterpillar...
2015 Moffett M8 55.3 (048) Truck Mounted Forklift (A33113)
2015 Moffett M8...