Buying Advice New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #21  
If you go with the Massey GC series I would invest a few hundred in a ballast box . This will even be more help while using the loader or snow removal . You can look up google ballasting and see how it effects tractor operating safety and usage . Titan attachments has one painted to match the massey red color and free shipping to the lower 48 states . Good luck in your search !!!

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #22  
   / New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #23  
Doodlelady,

I'm sure it can seem like a mountain of information and knowledge to consider when deciding about tractors and then learning to run one. It sometimes have a clean slate means you don't have to erase any bad habits. :)

Might I also suggest if you haven't started reading this thread I've linked to, it might be something to follow.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/397820-new-1st-time-scut-buyers.html

Thank you! I had no idea about any of that.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #24  
Private message sent.

Hi Ted, not sure why I was kicked out of my original username but I had to start a new one. So just incase you had sent any more messages I haven稚 been ignoring you I just never got them!

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #25  
I don't know how much snow you get in "the Buffalo area" but I see a potential area of conflict. Enough tractor to handle the snow - yet of the size to mow 4-6 acres of lawn.

You have a gravel driveway that is steep where it meets the county road. This would indicate 4WD and loaded tires. A front snow blower on a thirty something horsepower tractor should handle just about any snow you might see. If you get more than is easy to handle - chances are the county roads won't be cleared for a while either. Giving you plenty of time to clear your driveway.

If you decide on a front or rear blade to clear snow - you should consider a bigger and heavier tractor. You need enough "tractor weight" to clear the snow berms that will build and freeze on the sides of the driveway.

Example - I have a mile long gravel driveway. I'm pretty sure we do not get the snow that you do in "the Buffalo area". I started out with a brand new 1982 Ford 1710 4WD and a rear blade and a rear blower. The blade did great but the berms would build over time. About three or four times per winter I would have to clear the berms with the 3-point blower. A REAL pain in the neck and shoulders.

I upgraded in 2009 to a brand new Kubota M6040 that with grapple, loaded rear tires and heavy duty rear blade - has a total weight of 10,100 pounds. Its heavy enough to clear any and all berms that might develop along the driveway.

I'm not saying you need something the size of a M6040 but realize that if you are going to rely on a front or rear blade only - you need extra weight to push that snow aside. Filled rear tires(Rimguard or RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid) and tire chains can provide a great help also.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #26  
I just had a thought - you said you live in the Buffalo area. You are talking New York state or do you mean the Montana/Wyoming area.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #27  
I just had a thought - you said you live in the Buffalo area. You are talking New York state or do you mean the Montana/Wyoming area.

Buffalo NY!

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #28  
Your quote seems high. I packaged up the same 1705 with the FEL, 60mmm, and 54" rear snowblower, price was around $18k with the 84 month option. $16-17k cash price. That snowblower is about $2500+/- depending on promotions BTW

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #29  
Hi Ted, not sure why I was kicked out of my original username but I had to start a new one. So just incase you had sent any more messages I haven稚 been ignoring you I just never got them!

PM sent.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #30  
Your quote seems high. I packaged up the same 1705 with the FEL, 60mmm, and 54" rear snowblower, price was around $18k with the 84 month option. $16-17k cash price. That snowblower is about $2500+/- depending on promotions BTW

So I followed up and asked the dealer for a quote for 1705 FEL, 60mmm, and 48” front mount MF snowblower and got 19.3k cash 21k @84 months and 20.5k cash and 22k 84 month for the 1715. Haven’t yet tried to negotiate.