Buying Advice New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705
Not many trees in the area that need to be mowed. It’s pretty clear. Only one section of the mowed area is on an incline and that part is not steep. Just the driveway has a steep incline close to the road.

Not the city exactly. Always lived in nearby area but in a residential area. I’m not a stranger to the outdoors and doing yard work. My husband on the other hand has not had his hands dirty.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #13  
Not the city exactly. Always lived in nearby area but in a residential area. I’m not a stranger to the outdoors and doing yard work. My husband on the other hand has not had his hands dirty.

I also have no handy person to help me. Moving the business to the mountains was MY idea, and I just sort of dragged my business partner along for the ride. He will lend a strong back sometimes, with some "pretty please" and a steak dinner. :) But he's a city boy who knows even less than me, and worse, he hates it all. Guess I need to find me a good ol' country boy. :) :) :)

It will be interesting to see how your hubby takes to country life!

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #14  
I also have no handy person to help me. Moving the business to the mountains was MY idea, and I just sort of dragged my business partner along for the ride. He will lend a strong back sometimes, with some "pretty please" and a steak dinner. :) But he's a city boy who knows even less than me, and worse, he hates it all. Guess I need to find me a good ol' country boy. :) :) :)

It will be interesting to see how your hubby takes to country life!

My wife it the country one, but I am keeping up. She plans most of the projects, and I keep the equipment running. We are not in the country, but surrounded by suburbs that used to be country (still have a farmer across the street, but his fields are down the road now). When we were thinking about how to get the work around the new ranch done I found TBN as an invaluable resource. When I said to my wife, "I think we need a tractor," she was waiting for me to come to that conclusion!

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #15  
What dealer? I got mine from Java in Westfield NY, for almost $1k less, would have been $15.8 with mower. I paid cash for the mower and had a substantional down payment.
With your larger land area, consider the next size up tractor, 1500 series I believe. Seems like they were only a grand or so more than the 1705, but being larger and more capable. Definately operate every tractor you can. You will find features you like, and don't like.
If mowing a large area consider a finish mower, which comes in larger widths, rather than a belly mower.
A snowblower on a gravel drive isn't good, and really only needed when snowfall is heavy. Those under 6" storms are really a nuisance to a blower, a blade handles it better, but when we get one of those 2-3' dumpings, a blower is really appreciated!
Definitely get the block heater, probably not needed, but it does help. You can set it up on a timer or remote operated from inside the house.
I got the turf tires, they spin rather than dig a big hole in my yard, and are supposedly better in winter, we'll see on that, but I will get chains. Yes on filling the tires, it's called RimGuard. Basically beet juice.
Visit Massey's site, they do have a build and price section, although you submit your info, and a dealer contacts you.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #16  
I got the turf tires, they spin rather than dig a big hole in my yard, and are supposedly better in winter, we'll see on that, but I will get chains.

Do you operate on anything other than grass? I do many tasks with my SCUT that I would not want to have turf tires on it. DoodleLady has many acres of woods that would be very hard on turf tires.

I think the common advice here on TBN is to have a separate mowing machine for grass around the house. We use our subcompact for all the mowing because a mower that would have 4WD and a rear diff lock for our hills would have been way out of budget. Going bigger on the tractor would limit working around the house.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #17  
Welcome to TBN! A couple of points:

1. I wouldn't buy a tractor without looking at at least four brands, including Kubota, LS, Kioti and Deere. (and Branson if you have a local dealer)

2. I wouldn't buy a tractor to mow 4-6 acres of lawn with. It makes no sense to use a $15000 tractor to mow when a $6000 Zero Turn will do it better in half the time.

Best of luck to you and congrats on your new place (my place is also 17 acres with 4 acres to mow).

What dealer? I got mine from Java in Westfield NY, for almost $1k less, would have been $15.8 with mower. I paid cash for the mower and had a substantional down payment.
With your larger land area, consider the next size up tractor, 1500 series I believe. Seems like they were only a grand or so more than the 1705, but being larger and more capable. Definately operate every tractor you can. You will find features you like, and don't like.
If mowing a large area consider a finish mower, which comes in larger widths, rather than a belly mower.
A snowblower on a gravel drive isn't good, and really only needed when snowfall is heavy. Those under 6" storms are really a nuisance to a blower, a blade handles it better, but when we get one of those 2-3' dumpings, a blower is really appreciated!
Definitely get the block heater, probably not needed, but it does help. You can set it up on a timer or remote operated from inside the house.
I got the turf tires, they spin rather than dig a big hole in my yard, and are supposedly better in winter, we'll see on that, but I will get chains. Yes on filling the tires, it's called RimGuard. Basically beet juice.
Visit Massey's site, they do have a build and price section, although you submit your info, and a dealer contacts you.
Thanks for the info. We went to Java in Java NY

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #19  
So while I come from a farming back ground and been around machinery my whole life i can understand how this could be an overwhelming decision especially when your looking for advice via a forum. We live in a wooded lot and my 1705 performs just fine. I mow with it, cut wood, tend to my driveway, tend to garden with it. Lots of tasks. I wouldn't consider another mower. This mows just fine. I have ag tires on mine and if you use some sense your grass will be fine. Filling tires is as he said above Rim gaurd. It adds weight to your tractor for better traction, provides a more sturdy tractor if you have hills so this would be benefit you. I would say that as you have ur tractor you will have more tasks for it even though right now your only thinking about mowing and snow blowing. Don't be afraid to ask the salesman questions that you may have as well. Thats part of their job is to help you understand the machine your looking at. When I was looking I test drove an LS, Kubota, and the massey. My negotiations with the massey was smooth and he didn't buck me on my asking price. However my situation was different as I was a cash customer.

Ill at times use it to move my trash cans to the end of the driveway. Just little things like that its helpful. Will this be kept in a building or garage? If not you may consider something that will atleast protect it from the elements of debree from trees, rain, sun. The weather can really beat up a seat on a tractor.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #20  
Greetings DoodleLady,

Isn't life exciting? You're doing a bunch of new learning on a topic not familiar, buying property, potentially buying a tractor, and dealing with a tractor forum as both a newbie and as the sole person in your family for support on the subject.

First off, congratulations on doing some reading on forum topics relating to tractors. I like the fact you're humble and independent enough to start the process on your own - but I'd also encourage you to develop "just a little hard-of-hearing" tendency too. :) You'll find a wide selection of knowledge on TBN - but also a whole lot of differing opinions on brands and on size choices and implement needs. If you're just a little "hard-of-hearing" - you'll be able to weather all the contrary opinions and still listen to your own common sense. And of course - there's that female "thing" at dealers too.

Although I know of several towns named "Buffalo", I'm assuming you are referring to Buffalo New York the capital of snow dumps and higher standing snow levels during the winter.

So here are a couple of my thoughts as a GC1715 owner.

1. I'd have liked a GC1720 just so I would have "had it all" - but it was too much money for an item I could have used 4 or 5 years earlier - but not at the time I bought in 2015. Many TBN'ers are fans of the GC1710 or GC1720 - either because they have money or because they have a great deal of activities to do with a backhoe. If mowing lawn and snow removal are primary activities - then I'd suggest a GC1705 or GC 1715 because you already have alot of learning in front of you and an uncertain need for a backhoe. You can always hire someone with a backhoe - or even rent one if you choose to learn that item also. And if it really becomes a desire - selling what you buy to get a "10" or "20" version is another option too - and don't think lots of current owners haven't done just that - waited till they had a proven need.

2. Filling rear tires. I did it - and the dealer put a high quality windshield washer fluid in at tractor purchase for free. W.W. isn't quite as heavy (per gallon) as the beet juice (Rim Guard) choice - but its cleaner if you have a spill or check your tire pressures - and much much cheaper - as RimGuard must be installed by an authorized Rimguard dealer - and their service prices and product prices vary greatly. As an example in Western Wisconsin - there were only 4 authorized outlets in a 60 mile radius of my city. More importantly is understanding why filling your rear tires is a benefit. Its not just adding weight to your back end to help when using the front end loader - its weight "in-the-tires" which means its not weight on the rear axle even though it is weight for the very back end of the tractor.

3. Having a block heater. If you're in snow country - I'd have it as part of the deal with the dealer - because it will never be as cheap again. Why? Because as part of the sale - it becomes part of the whole tractor setup before delivery - labor for setting up the tractor is calculated in as a cost of making sales - come back later - and its shop time plus cost of heater. EVEN if you have inside heated storage - I'd get it - because maybe a big dump is coming and you don't want to take the chance of getting your storage door "drifted in" and not be able to open it - so you are going to leave your unit outside - or you get stuck or take a break in colder temps and when you go back out to finish its cold.

4. I'd get the brush guard for the GC's as part of the deal - again its installed at setup and when you don't have the fel on - it protects your front end. In addition - you can hang weights off the guard if needed - and I don't believe it interferes if you get a front plow or snowblower either.

5. Snowblower or front plow or rear plow ? You could wait on that if you like - maybe you'll find someone who plows out by you who can do it inexpensively or part of a tradeout on something you can help them with. But if you're going to snow removal yourself - I'd think snowblower (even on gravel) - because even getting just 3 or 4 one (1) foot snows in a month means you have to have a place to "plow it to" when using a blade. With a blower it throws it out and over the piles - and again - that's assuming no Buffalo lake effects sized snows. The snowblower is not inexpensive - but its a good one. And you can always get a very inexpensive rear plow blade to work with it too. Or maybe your driveway is really short - that's a different story - but I'm guessing a gravel driveway means its not "short" :)

6. GC 1705 or GC 1715 ? Well its a little different seat but not as much as it used to be - but - focus on comfort while you're mowing - enjoy the effort the GC 1715 is the same seat as the GC1720 which means arm rests and plenty of comfort and support. Some will tell you to get a zero turn mower - but speed isn't all its cracked up to be while flexibility is. And from a more logical argument - snowblowers and mid mount mowers and rear tillers or post hole diggers all use a power take off and each of those has more power (HP) to use with the GC 1715 than the GC 1705. I also found in testing that I could lift more with the fel. Again - its not a huge changes - but its a change - and the price difference isn't very large (mine was about $1200 difference or less for the advantages of power and seat). Also you can use it as a negotiating edge for your extras - because the dealer has some profit to discount from for the extras when you're getting the GC1715.

7. Inquire about the AGCO insurance for the financed tractor purchase - its a deal deal deal. It covers many things homeowner's insurance doesn't and for me it was only 285 dollars for the total 5 years (not per year). If the dealer doesn't know about it or doesn't think its needed - push it - it merely means the dealer doesn't know what it is. My big dealer had never sold it till I insisted - and now they don't sell without it for most units :)

8. Learning is both fun and hard work - and absorbing opinions and prioritizing them is even harder when some have strong opinions and want you to get a different brand or a bigger tractor than you are considering. Think with an open mind but a determination that its your situation and all the rest of us are guessing what your situation is. I've personally found that some women have some real strong advantages over men when it comes to observation of equipment. Their ego isn't engaged as much so their brain spots the less obvious. And they have a different ability to negotiate. No one would doubt that a female lion is a stronger hunter than a male lion even though the male is larger - its because the female lion knows that and compensates in other ways.

9. Finally - consider a couple things I didn't initially consider and did later.

A. I got a quick attach so my bucket could come off and on in a minute or two. Sometimes taking 155 pounds of bucket off lets you cut a little grass much easier without taking the fel off on a certain time. Also with a quick attach - you can get other fel mounted implements like a full fork set. I use mine as much as I do the bucket. A fork set can haul a picnic table or a stack of chairs or heavy flower pots set on a skid or lift something heavy etc.. A quick attach makes it not just convenient - but gives you easy choices. Check with MyTractorTools.com to see a patented very convenient set of options and implement choices. Call the owner/designer of the implements as others of us have done. They offer great products and even better knowledge of scut needs and power issues. If you do call Jery - tell him I told you to - he's smart but very very helpful.

B. I bought a 40 gallon 3pt hitch mounted sprayer by Fimco (many places sell it). Why this? First off, by being on a 3 pt. hitch - you can move around much easier than a tow behind. Next - it has a boom sprayer on it to spray lawn or pasture. But just as important - it has a wonderful quality spray wand with 25 foot hose. I can drive along a ravine, ditch, or long fence or tree line and spray steady with the wand up to 25/30 feet into the area without getting off the tractor or stopping. $350 or less and its heavy duty and 40 gallons is enough to do a bunch or you can do just 10 or 20 gallons.

Just remember - this is for you and its your quest - we at tbn are just observers and suggestion makers. But get caught with a problem and you'll see some incredible knowledge offered to help.

That's all I have - sorry for the length.

Last edited: