New to the hay game

/ New to the hay game
Jeeze guys, great info here. I think I will put the haying idea on the back burner, and just pull out the bush hog when wifey say's the grass is too tall. I am going to do a soil analysis for the purpose of lime, as there is a lot of broom sedge in the fields.

/ New to the hay game #22  
Jeeze guys, great info here. I think I will put the haying idea on the back burner, and just pull out the bush hog when wifey say's the grass is too tall. I am going to do a soil analysis for the purpose of lime, as there is a lot of broom sedge in the fields.
Usually (not always) it means the topsoil was mined of minerals from farming. Not always the case, but Broomsedge like crap soil.

/ New to the hay game
Usually (not always) it means the topsoil was mined of minerals from farming. Not always the case, but Broomsedge like crap soil.

Yep... I have researched that. We need lime. You would die if you could see this soil, it's a Clifford Sandy Loam, deep and well drained; not to mention it smells good.

/ New to the hay game #24  
Yep... I have researched that. We need lime. You would die if you could see this soil, it's a Clifford Sandy Loam, deep and well drained; not to mention it smells good.
So you got soil tests?

/ New to the hay game #26  
No... have to gather them up and send off to VA Tech. I just read where broom sedge is a dead give away for low ph. I feel like I'm back at Del Val studying again. :)

Forgive me if you already said it, was the field hayed in previous years?

/ New to the hay game
Forgive me if you already said it, was the field hayed in previous years?

To our knowledge, yes, several years ago. Was bush hogged about 2 years ago, and I just did it again to knock down the broom sedge, stickers, and small red cedars cropping up. Looks pretty nice now, waiting to see how it greens up.

/ New to the hay game #28  
Well,, I know one thing for sure,, it's going to green up with 3 times as many red cedars......

/ New to the hay game #29  
To our knowledge, yes, several years ago. Was bush hogged about 2 years ago, and I just did it again to knock down the broom sedge, stickers, and small red cedars cropping up. Looks pretty nice now, waiting to see how it greens up.

The more you mow, the softer and more consistent the field will look.

If you want the stickers and junk gone quicker, I’d suggest hiring a professional to spray triclopyr, carefully following the instructions.
To get the broomsedge out and sweeten up, I’d apply lime according to your soil sample results.

/ New to the hay game #30  
Yep. My guy does mine on shares. He does all the work and I get 50% of the hay. Then he buys my 50% at current market value.

Keeps the fields clean and I don't have to mess with it.

If he does all the work, supplies all the equipment and fertilizer and chemicals...send him my way. Here if you own the land, fertilize, lime and chemicals and of course are applying them you get 50% of the hay and they guy who cuts, rakes and bales get 50%. Getting into the barn does vary.