New to owning a tractor and looking for a tiller!

/ New to owning a tractor and looking for a tiller!
I just realized your 1626 is 63 inches wide.
I wouldn't buy the Titan Iron craft 4ft Tiller, it is to narrow.
A tiller that can be off-set to the right to get outside the tire track would be better than the titan.
Even a 5' tiller won't get outside the tire track without being offset.
If it doesn't have to be perfect and you are content with going VERY slow, get a 5' tiller.

By slow I mean, grandma walking on ice slow.
I'm good with slow and a few passes to get it how I want.

/ New to owning a tractor and looking for a tiller! #33  
I'm good with slow and a few passes to get it how I want.
Still you either need a narrower tiller which can shift to fully cover one of the wheels, or you need a wide enough tiller to cover both wheels, or you're going to have compacted tire tracks going across your tilled area.

/ New to owning a tractor and looking for a tiller! #34  
Since others are adding comments for comparison I have a question also. Kubota, 2009 L3400 Extra power HST,engine 35.7 HP, PTO 28.5 HP would you get a 5 ft or 6 ft tiller?
I run a 6' King Kutter II tiller on my 28.3 HP tractor (gear drive/shuttle.)
Runs it fine.

/ New to owning a tractor and looking for a tiller!
I see after doing additional research some say hitch Cat 1 or 2. What is a Cat 1 and what is a Cat 2? What are the differences?

/ New to owning a tractor and looking for a tiller! #37  
I would like to purchase a 5ft tiller that will hold up well to dirt, clay, and rocks.
Clay and rocks can bog down a tiller big time.
Can you rent a tiller for a week?
I bought a 5' tiller and even with my 50HP M4700 it would bog down in marine clay.

/ New to owning a tractor and looking for a tiller! #38  
Cat 1 is a smaller pin and is definitely what your tractor has. As you get at 50+ HP (or so) many brands start offering Cat 1/2 that can handle the thicker pin for heavier duty work. The really big ones will go Cat 3.

My internet cables are Cat-6, but that's another topic. 😀

/ New to owning a tractor and looking for a tiller! #39  
Last edited:
   / New to owning a tractor and looking for a tiller! #40  
I see after doing additional research some say hitch Cat 1 or 2. What is a Cat 1 and what is a Cat 2? What are the differences?
I've used my 60' tiller behind my 69 inch wide New Holland tractor and it worked well. I was using it to loosen compacted soil to level a building pad, not to garden. A 60" ought to work pretty good behind your tractor. I don't think the inch and a half of tire track on each side will make much difference in the long run. Whatever your final choice, 48", 60", 72", you will like how it prepares the ground. The biggest advantage to a 72" is that if you ever decide to upgrade to a bigger compact tractor, the 72" will likely cover those tracks also.