New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start
I'm with you here. 3 things don't fail all at the same time like this and re ringing a engine isnt a quick and easy job. I would be checking alot of other things before I just go ripping and tearing at the engine.

Theres plenty of other cheap/free checks and adjustments you can do before you just start throwing parts at something.
This has always been my frame of mind with repair work, try the cheap/free things all first.

Any more of those that I can still do moving forward

Only part I’ve bought so far is an oil and fuel filter. Plus compression tester replacement I’m gonna return for other tools haha

Last edited:
   / New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #123  
I’ve only read your opinions.
It is a fact that the explosion cannot push the injectors open, therefore the compression can’t either. How would the engine run with compression pushing air up the injection lines? This is not an opinion.

That’s almost funny. If the injectors leaked back how would they handle the explosion?
The surface area of the nozzle is so small it can’t push back. The blow by tells the story. So much guessing on here the guy is just chasing his tail until the main thing is corrected.
So what story does blow by tell

Pull head and check gasket or ? Yes I’m chasing my tail but I’m learning a lot along the way ! Or at least feels that way

It is a fact that the explosion cannot push the injectors open, therefore the compression can’t either. How would the engine run with compression pushing air up the injection lines? This is not an opinion.
Come on guys be nice
All good

I think he meant leak around the injectors not back through them if I understood correct the way he phrased it.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #126  
So what story does blow by tell

Pull head and check gasket or ? Yes I’m chasing my tail but I’m learning a lot along the way ! Or at least feels that way
It tells you the rings are letting the compression to get by and show up in the crankcase as it is showing.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #127  
Come on guys be nice
All good

I think he meant leak around the injectors not back through them if I understood correct the way he phrased it.
If it leaked around them you would see or hear or feel that.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #128  
I am looking at the landscape around your pictures trying to figure out what part of central California. I guess I am central foothills.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #129  
If the injectors leaked back how would they handle the explosion?

Other than that there is no such thing as an explosion in a gas or diesel engine, facts exist per case and can belie what we've learned/experienced in the past. The viewpoint depends on the relative pressure resulting from one of three events. These injectors aren't right anyway, so ... ?

Only part I’ve bought so far is an oil and fuel filter.

Wow, am I glad to hear that. We keep talking serious disassembly and inspection that I'd also hope to avoid. I'd look for an injector service and have them cleaned and adjusted before I took more apart. Spray pattern in #1 looks close, #2 ghastly, and #3 non-existent. I wouldn't be surprised if this one wouldn't start and run after such service. We can search for other demons from there but IMO this is big and at this point comes first.

I'd also keep soaking the rings, adding occasional (weekly) 1/2 ozs of acetone to the 1/2 oz or so of ATF in each cylinder. Apologies for my Scottish approach, but too often compression tests have mislead on engines that sat for too long and with rings that would eventually become unstuck(?), and/or engines that after inspection started and ran well with good mpg or GPH despite initial scary compression tests. (Honda, H-D, OMC, Chev/GM, Buick, Suzuki ...)

Just my opinion. Here today, gone tomorrow. :)

I agree plus they were super tight
Just reading his post and trying to understand what he was trying to explain.

I’m just chasing my tail around trying to follow everyone here haha

Last edited: