New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #1  

CalienteJohn

Tractor
TC29D
Long time reader first time poster. Please correct if in the wrong location etc

Just bought a new holland TC29D With supposed yanmar loader 1,100 hours “won’t start as is $4,000 with fuel to haul it home.

Initial testing it cranks but no smoke from exhaust, dirty filter and fuel didn’t smell right. When cranking no smoke from exhaust

Drained tank completely (was full) cleaned sediment bowl and replaced fuel filter.

Verified fuel flow is good from tank and after filter to pump

Verified fuel solenoid is functioning

Bleed air from fuel system according to instructions here for related tractors. Fuel flow from injector lines was small spirts that seem consistent.

Cranks and now smokes from exhaust when cranking and also smoke from oil filler breather tube.

Still won’t start

Verified that glow plugs are at least cycling, dash light cycles with key and voltage is present at glow plug buss bar or whatever it’s called. Voltage at buss bar was only like 11V while battery was on charge same time and at 13.4V..

Plugs only cycle for a few seconds

Central California 70 degree temps

Thank you very much for any help and time given it is appreciated.

I’ll post updates
9568834B-1C8E-4102-83E5-4D21CC3CCD84.png
AE98878F-E03C-46D5-89B5-0262B02DC43C.jpeg
92308DB7-B8CA-4BF1-A399-58AF74945303.jpeg
FD9E02B1-447C-4769-BA20-17AAC5C4861E.jpeg
3D7026F4-E3DE-45C1-9FC5-47AF0B797D43.jpeg

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #2  
Do a compression test. Smoke from the oil fill indicates blowby. Hit with some either to try to get it started. Sounds like low compression. You got fuel,Air, and power. 🍻

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #3  
Check for high pressure fuel at the injectors. You could also give it a sniff of starting fluid.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #4  
Just a slight sniff and no more. Sounds to me like internal engine issues. Hope you didn't pay too much for it. It looks to be run hard and put away wet, more than once.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start
Crap
That’s not what I was hoping to hear
Do I compression test from the glow plug holes or ?

My diesel knowledge is very limited. Purchased because of the low hours and it looks to be fairly clean and complete.

I was hoping fresh fuel and a bat charge would get it going. Trying to get a tractor for my small family ranch… this would be perfect

Last edited:
The fuel from injector lines when cracked to bleed was low pressure it seemed to me. Small repetitive spurts not big sprays…

What is a small sniff of ether lol, like small a spray as I can almost or ?
And directly into the intake while cranking or ?
Thank you everyone for the help

I paid $4,000 which I thought was a decent price in hind sight though maybe not.
I’m in AG country and prices for even beat up old tractors hold good value.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #8  
Check for high pressure fuel at the injectors. You could also give it a sniff of starting fluid.
Only give it stating fluid if you have disabled the glow plugs.

I would try it after the glow plugs are disconnected.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #9  
I paid $4,000 which I thought was a decent price in hind sight though maybe not.
I’m in AG country and prices for even beat up old tractors hold good value.
A 4WD tractor w/loader for that price is going to have problems somewhere, and it looks like you found one already. I'm ASSUMING here that you bought this long distance and never heard it run? If it's a gear drive tractor you might have better luck tow starting it considering the circumstances. If it's hydrostatic you may be in for a fight.

A 4WD tractor w/loader for that price is going to have problems somewhere, and it looks like you found one already. I'm ASSUMING here that you bought this long distance and never heard it run? If it's a gear drive tractor you might have better luck tow starting it considering the circumstances. If it's hydrostatic you may be in for a fight.
Correct. Tractor was at auctions for a VETERAN CAR DONATIONS auction all funds to that charity. Newer tractor hydrostatic trans.

I figured being donated for vets MAYBE someone had just given up on it and it may be an easy fix fresh fuel & filter battery etc. and that the funds went toward helping vets I thought it was worth a chance.

My small family ranch could absolutely use a decent tractor. We have a 60’s ford gas guzzler tractor with a Massey Ferguson backhoe that has been ridden hard put away wet and covered in mud soaking wet hot nasty oily and dirty and STILL works after decades…