New tires, change size???

/ New tires, change size??? #11  
I would stick with OEM recommendation. Same with trucks. You can lift them and put bigger tires but it will put more strain/wear and tear on the vehicle over time. I am a fan of keeping things stock but that is just my opinion.

That $1200 could turn into more dollars if you do something other than OEM specs on the tractor.

/ New tires, change size??? #12  
Larger diameter tire will provide a little smoother ride and will typically roll a little easier since they do not fall into holes as deep. Like others have stated if front wheel assist you must match the tire ratio. If just two wheel drive should be no problem going up a size if they clear the fenders.

/ New tires, change size??? #13  
Some of you are reading way too much into this, I didn't say I wanted to change, I was wondering if there was any advantage to changing the tire size. I'm trying to consider all options now, BEFORE I drop $1200 on 2 new tires. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...
I understand completely what you mean. I switched tire sizes (width) on a Kubota I have. Went from 480’s to 520’s to gain some width. Just had to make sure I went to the proper aspect ratio on the front and rear tires.
It was easy for me since it was an already offered optional tire package for my tractors.
Some tractors will offer an optional flotation size to reduce your ground compaction/increase flotation.

/ New tires, change size???
I'll have to investigate that angle, thanks.

/ New tires, change size??? #15  
if you're tractor is 4wd, listen to HayDude, the same ratio must be kept otherwise wouldn't take long for trans/ft axle problems. imho not worth thinking about. best regards

/ New tires, change size???
if you're tractor is 4wd, listen to HayDude, the same ratio must be kept otherwise wouldn't take long for trans/ft axle problems. imho not worth thinking about. best regards
I'm sure i've already discussed that, thanks for beating that horse though...

/ New tires, change size??? #17  
sounds like you've got it figured, & best in finding the size you're looking for, regards

/ New tires, change size??? #18  
We have turf tires on our TC29D. They are much wider than R4's and do much less damage to soft ground than R4
's do. They are also better with the NH Super Steer. I would think SS would really dig up turf with R4's.

/ New tires, change size??? #19  
I have a NH TC29D, hydro, and tires are in need of replacement. (just put a tube in one to tide me over) Size now on rears is 15x19.5 R4's.
My question is, is there any reason I should change the tire size? I cut lawn, do loader work, drag trees etc. I have no issue with what I have on now, but am not versed in the way of tires on tractor. Will going up a size (using original rims) or any other change make a difference? I imagine the tires were a happy medium for most uses. I could be wrong. What should I consider?
R1s are narrower and have softer sidewalls, better ride for a given pressure and for a given ply rating, and as a result tear up turf more. R1s are made for plowing primarily and suffer more tread wear on hard surfaces....roads.

R4s with a 4wd machine seem to do pretty well in general purpose usage including light plowing, but are usually stiff sidewalled and ride rougher even at low pressures.

I have a set of 4 ply turfs for a 25 hp tractor that will support the weight of the tractor with NO air in the tires....so R3 turfs aren't necessarily softer riding.

You need to keep the gear ratio/RPM match on 4wd vehicles so you need to be careful changing type or size of your tires. As another said, don't fix it it it ain't broke!

/ New tires, change size??? #20  
Some of you are reading way too much into this, I didn't say I wanted to change, I was wondering if there was any advantage to changing the tire size. I'm trying to consider all options now, BEFORE I drop $1200 on 2 new tires. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...
Hi, I am changing rear tires soon, and was wondering about the fronts. You mentioned you changed fronts due to dry rot. You also mentioned turf tire. I am confused on if you changed the front tire size, I think you did, you said they were too tall. I am going from 13.6 x28 to 16.9 x 24 {rears} I am now thinking I need to also change the front to a smaller rim/ tire. Any info will be very much appreciated.

T Y
Dave, also in Vermont