New tires, change size???

/ New tires, change size??? #1  

Mtsoxfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D
I have a NH TC29D, hydro, and tires are in need of replacement. (just put a tube in one to tide me over) Size now on rears is 15x19.5 R4's.
My question is, is there any reason I should change the tire size? I cut lawn, do loader work, drag trees etc. I have no issue with what I have on now, but am not versed in the way of tires on tractor. Will going up a size (using original rims) or any other change make a difference? I imagine the tires were a happy medium for most uses. I could be wrong. What should I consider?

/ New tires, change size??? #2  
If it ain't broke, don’t fix it.

/ New tires, change size???
If it ain't broke, don’t fix it.
That's one way to look at it. I just would like to make sure I'm not missing an opportunity before I drop $1200 or so.

/ New tires, change size??? #4  
The R4 is the compromise tire, which is perfect for the uses you described. Going up a size is asking for trouble. There is a reason manufactures chose the size they chose.

/ New tires, change size??? #5  
That's one way to look at it. I just would like to make sure I'm not missing an opportunity before I drop $1200 or so.
I’d only change from R4 to R1 if you aren’t getting enough traction. never change sizes without consulting your dealer. You’ll break your 4wd system.

thanks... traction was never an issue. don't want to destoy grass either
if i changed thefront tires so whatever ratio they used, would that balance the 4wd issue?
trucks change tire size all the time with no issue

/ New tires, change size??? #7  
thanks... traction was never an issue. don't want to destoy grass either
if i changed thefront tires so whatever ratio they used, would that balance the 4wd issue?
trucks change tire size all the time with no issue
4wd trucks have 4 tires same size. Tractors don’t. Most tractors have a smaller front tire.
So if front or rear must be changed, the other set must be too, to maintain the same ratio.

/ New tires, change size??? #8  
I changed the front tire size (turf tire) on my 1720 Ford after the fronts failed due to dry rot.
From day one I noticed the front tires pulling harder than the rears when in 4wd. The fronts were too tall resulting in the front tires always kicking snow/dirt towards the rear.
When using 4wd I had to be very diligent and disengage it immediately before driving on blacktop or the drivetrain would bind up within 4 to 5 feet.
Prior to purchasing new tires I measured the rolling distance of the front tires to 1 revolution of the rear tires. I then used the tire comparison charts on tire ware house to find an automotive radial snow tire that was closest to my calculations. I purchased 2 new tires then drove the tractor on pavement and then adjusted the front/rear tire pressures until I could drive straight down a blacktop road and engage/disengage 4wd without binding.
Ford engineering could have done a much better job when sizing the turf tires. The agg tires I had worked fine with no binding using the recommended tire pressures.
Moral of this story is know what you are doing before changing the size of tires on a 4wd tractor.
90cummins

/ New tires, change size??? #9  
Im really struggling to understand why you want bigger tires when the stock ( worn out tires you said ) have plenty of traction. Maybe you need a bigger tractor which by design will have correspondingly bigger tires.

Some of you are reading way too much into this, I didn't say I wanted to change, I was wondering if there was any advantage to changing the tire size. I'm trying to consider all options now, BEFORE I drop $1200 on 2 new tires. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...