New Thumb

/ New Thumb #1  

George2615

Tractor
LS XR3037HC
Finished installing my thumb.
See all the pics in the Attachments thread post Added a thumb.

Attachments

• 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 266
   / New Thumb #2  
Very cool...looks super handy. Did you add the reflective strips to your loader arms? That's a really good idea I'm going to have to copy. R,

/ New Thumb
Yes I added the tape to this tractor and my previous one. Makes it easier to see. I have reflective tape on the side of the cab below the back side windows too. Picked it up fairly cheap at HF. I use it on all my trailers too. I like to be seen and not hurt. You can't have enough lights and reflective tape.

/ New Thumb #4  
Very cool George! I just showed it to my Wife, she said "GET IT". Hope you don't mind but could you answer a few questions? Looks like the 36" ? Does it go compleatly verticle when retracted? And if you could describe how much travel from retracted to fully open? Thanks :thumbsup:

/ New Thumb #5  
Very cool George! I just showed it to my Wife, she said "GET IT". Hope you don't mind but could you answer a few questions? Looks like the 36" ? Does it go compleatly verticle when retracted? And if you could describe how much travel from retracted to fully open? Thanks :thumbsup:

Whoops, disregard, seen other thread now:eek:

/ New Thumb

Look at the pics I posted. They show the thumb fully up and down on both the forks and bucket as installed. Hard to get more movement with a cylinder that only has a 6" stroke. The problem with a 6" stroke is you can't get the thumb fully vertical and close enough to touch the bucket or forks. I did get the 36" mainly for use on the forks. I am going to change the thumb mount angle on the bucket so it will close more.

/ New Thumb #7  
Would it be feasible to mount a longer stroke cylinder, and would it work?

/ New Thumb
No, a longer cylinder would make it close more but open less. The only way to make it open and close more would be to change the pin position where the cylinder mounts. I am going to look at that tomorrow to see if I can drill holes lower on the bucket thumb mount bracket to move the cyl. down.

/ New Thumb #10  
If you are modifying to make it act more like a grapple, then why not purchase a grapple? Then you could allow the grapple to remain stationary as if it were a thumb or retract and close as a grapple... just wondering.