New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #1  

AB4D

Silver Member
Tractor
Prior: Kubota BX-23, Kubota L3430HSTC, Kubota ZG23, L3560 HSTC Limited Edition, Current: L6060 HSTC
Hi,

I am seeking opinions regarding a Flail mower with Hammers (CAT 1). Use is mainly to cut and maintain a perimeter trail around a 28 acre forestry parcel I own. The land is mainly flat, no rocks (on the NC coast). Small pine trees/weeds/etc are the main thing to be kept cut.

My main limitation is likely the Tractor's 35hp. Manual or Hydro offset would be a plus as I have a rear remote for that.

Thanks

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #2  
These flail mowers from Nova-Tractor are some pretty heavy duty mower. I'm thinking of going with one of these after I've sold my ditch bank flail mower that was a little too small for what I do. They use Italian Comer Industries gear boxes.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #3  
I have an ironcraft( formerly Titan in Tennessee) it has been a good little flail. It comes with hammers installed and sent box of y blades as well..I think it sourced from Italy

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #4  
Hi,

I am seeking opinions regarding a Flail mower with Hammers (CAT 1). Use is mainly to cut and maintain a perimeter trail around a 28 acre forestry parcel I own. The land is mainly flat, no rocks (on the NC coast). Small pine trees/weeds/etc are the main thing to be kept cut.

My main limitation is likely the Tractor's 35hp. Manual or Hydro offset would be a plus as I have a rear remote for that.

Thanks
Hello and good afternoon AB4D,

Your mules available PTO horsepower places a limit on how large an orchard and vineyard shredder flail mower with
hammer knives you can have. One pair of remotes limits you to a simple side shift model which will be an easier implement to take care of.

1. The Maschio brand the Giraffa S model with the 3.8 foot cut with 24 hammer knives is as large a flail with side shift is the largest shredder you could consider for a flail shredder with your mules available PTO horsepower and useable torque.
With the 5 foot Giraffa S flail shredder you will be using all of your available horsepower and torque with little
power in reserve. With the 4 foot flail shredder you will have plenty of reserve power to use.
The double acting swinging side shift frame design that the Maschio unit uses avoids having cut brush and dust build up on a side shift hydraulic cylinder that is center mounted on the flail mower shroud and it can cut a wider swath
when extended.

2. the Del Morino Funny Top model has a manual side shift that is 8" left or right of center and is well within your mules PTO horsepower and has no hydraulic cylinders.

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers
Thanks everyone for the input. Really, searching around for available implements in a decent size for the tractor (6 foot - 72" inches). The choice is so limited, I am seriously considering trading up to a higher horsepower tractor. I purchased this tractor last year, and haven't put 15 minutes of time on it, due to the lack of available implements.

We'll see what the dealer can do on a trade.
:(

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #6  
If you decide to get an offset flail, get a hydraulically controlled unit. I bought a Maschio Tigre 300 that was mechanical slide and it didn't take me long to go to Ag South and get a cylinder for it. I'm not a fan of ditch bank flails if you are just cutting flat places.

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #7  
Really, searching around for available implements in a decent size for the tractor (6 foot - 72" inches). The choice is so limited, I am seriously considering trading up to a higher horsepower tractor.
:(

???? Really there are hundreds of implements made in that size. Other than a flail what implements are you looking for that cannot be found in a 6' width? Every implement I have is a 6' except for the box blade and rotary hoe which are 7'.

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #8  
Befire you change the tractor why not get a 6' brush hog for this - you can find them used and your 35HP will run it fine. You wont have a lot of $ tied if you go used and if you need a different result then go flail

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #9  
I think you need a brand new 75 HP tractor. :ROFLMAO:

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #10  
Flat, no rocks and cutting small softwood trees and grass..why do you think you need anything but a standard flail?