New/old box blade

/ New/old box blade #1  

MF1045

Tractor
1989 Massey Ferguson 1045 (with 232 loader)
Hi, I bought this old box blade. It has two fixed blades but also a flap on the very back. Can anyone tell me what the flap is for? Seems different than most hinged blades iv seen. Plus it already has a rear fixed blade. Thanks

Attachments

• 20231229_114405.jpg
    20231229_114405.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 84
  • 20231229_114426.jpg
    20231229_114426.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
   / New/old box blade #2  
Hi, I bought this old box blade. It has two fixed blades but also a flap on the very back. Can anyone tell me what the flap is for? Seems different than most hinged blades iv seen. Plus it already has a rear fixed blade. Thanks
Looks homemade. Did the seller ever mention why?

/ New/old box blade
I think he got it used. He had no idea what it was for either.

/ New/old box blade #4  
Downloaded, enlarged, and lightened photos, and I can't see any reason for it. It appears to have the conventional two cutting edges on an angle iron.

The flap doesn't appear to be long enough to be used as a smoothing edge going forward when the others are off the ground. Maybe a spreading blade that wouldn't cut when moving backwards. But it looks too short for either purpose.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / New/old box blade
Downloaded, enlarged, and lightened photos, and I can't see any reason for it. It appears to have the conventional two cutting edges on an angle iron.

The flap doesn't appear to be long enough to be used as a smoothing edge going forward when the others are off the ground. Maybe a spreading blade that wouldn't cut when moving backwards. But it looks too short for either purpose.

Bruce
Thanks. Yea I was thrown off by how high the flap sits off the ground. I looked around google for a similar feature on a boxblade but havnt seen any quite like that.

/ New/old box blade #6  
They used a piece of a grader blade on the side. I have several worn grader blades that I got from the county junk yard. I used some pieces on the front of my B7100DT to offset the weight of my box blade. I put another one under my implement shelf where I store my forks so I don't push them through the side of my PB.

/ New/old box blade #7  
My guess. If you back up with the flap up, the exposed beveled blade will likely cut in and remove material off the surface, especially a crown in the centre of your driveway. With the flap down, it might just spread material without cutting any deeper.
A couple of tests and it may become obvious.
Let us know once you have used it.

/ New/old box blade
Ok so maybe it is for pushing material backwards. It does not lock or pin in the down position so it seems like it might have something to do with this.

/ New/old box blade #9  
Are the grader blade cutoffs "raising" the box higher? (Like 6" higher?). If so, the swivel blade may have originally been on the 'bottom'. If that's the case, yes it would be for smoothing. If the box has been lifted.... well then it doesn't serve any purpose other than weight.

My box blade has that swivel blade on the back. If I tilt the box back, lifting it so the inside cutting edge doesn't make contact, then the rear blade just skims the surface, smoothing it out.