New MF GC1723E owner. What next?

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #11  
Right -- unless your dealer is very close and handy -- MF parts are $$. I get mine (also for a lower price) from the "local" Kubota dealer -- same pins, as the same company manufactures those blowers (Rad Engineering, Ltd in Canada) for several brands. (Kubota's pins are even the same gold & silver colors....)

One thing I forgot above -- keep some paper towels or rags handy, too -- that blower auger shaft is full of grease and it can get pretty messy when changing shear pins.

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #12  
I keep my pins and necessary wrenches and punch to get old pin out in a plastic horror freight ammo box on the tractor with me so I can swap out anywhere, anytime

Last edited:
   / New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #13  
Welcome to TBN, keep the tractor greased and have fun with it.

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #14  
all my snowblow stuff (I use rear mounted) is within 5 minutes tractor travel to my house. and I my 54" blizzard uses 2 shear bolts and I got approx 15 of each. small jar in shed holding ONLY shear bolts.

but the concept is the same, have a bunch of shear bolts on hand.

I looked closely at dealer cost for the 2 types of shear bolts I use versus buying same size Grade 1 (thats what the bolts are) and there was only (on average) 5 cents difference between buying actual bolt from dealer and a grade 1 at a hardware store. but your experience may not be tha same. just compare prices before buying, may be surprised.

again, mine is rear mounted and I have removable guards over the the 2 shear bolts. average time to swap is 3 minutes for me.

edit: made error stated 3 types of shear bolts, typo, only 2.

Last edited:
   / New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #15  
all my snowblow stuff (I use rear mounted) is within 5 minutes tractor travel to my house. and I my 54" blizzard uses 2 shear bolts and I got approx 15 of each. small jar in shed holding ONLY shear bolts.

but the concept is the same, have a bunch of shear bolts on hand.

I looked closely at dealer cost for the 3 types of shear bolts I use versus buying same size Grade 1 (thats what the bolts are) and there was only (on average) 5 cents difference between buying actual bolt from dealer and a grade 1 at a hardware store. but your experience may not be tha same. just compare prices before buying, may be surprised.

again, mine is rear mounted and I have removable guards over the the 2 shear bolts. average time to swap is 3 minutes for me.
I'm about the same, rear blower, 2 shear pins. I purchase 100 of each from Bolt Depot - Fastener Shopping Made Easy. I can always get back to the shed quick and the bolts are accessed easily under covers, takes under 5 minutes to change either.

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next?
Thanks for all the input folks. Like the lists a couple of you supplied. I'll be well prepared. Definitely see the recurring theme here on the shear pins. Going to find a good local supplier for those ASAP and always carry.

When I said I was a newbie, I mean even my first diesel anything I've owned. So one other question in my mind is will I need some kind of anti-gel fuel additive here in Northern MI? I see that talked about on here once in awhile. Is there a particular brand?

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #17  
Thanks for all the input folks. Like the lists a couple of you supplied. I'll be well prepared. Definitely see the recurring theme here on the shear pins. Going to find a good local supplier for those ASAP and always carry.

When I said I was a newbie, I mean even my first diesel anything I've owned. So one other question in my mind is will I need some kind of anti-gel fuel additive here in Northern MI? I see that talked about on here once in awhile. Is there a particular brand?
Mine gelled here in NY. I got some Power Service anti-gel additive and never had a problem since. It's been many years.

Dave

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #18  
I keep some Diesel 911 on hand ( in Maine, gets cold) but have never had to use it on the GC2400. but I do start mine often even if not gonna be used and let it get up to operating temp.

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #20  
If you are buying it now then you should be safe as you should be getting a winter blend at the moment.

I'm not going to give the most likely answer. I keep 4, 5 gallon cans. I get diesel when 2 are empty and I rotate them. I never know when I bought whatever fuel I'm using at the moment. For this reason I put Power Service in every can before I fill it up. This won't hurt anything and is fine to run all year.