New member looking to replace 8N

/ New member looking to replace 8N #1  

Ishkatan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8N
So, I have 7.46 acres, 1.5 acres in grass, 3.5 acres in tall weeds on a 10-15 degree hill, and the rest in woods on a 100 year flood plane.

My 6 volt 8N is backfiring and starting hard and steering needs new boots, etc... it can probably be fixed up and run forever but I am kind of tired of maintaining it. I want a 30 HP hydrostatic tractor with a front end loader to take my 5 Ft bush hog to the weeds and maybe a belly mower to zip through the grass. Ideally I would get rid of my 46" Murray and just use the one tractor for everything.

I don't revel in mowing so speed of mowing is high on my list of desired items. I already have a plow, post hole digger and grading blade. Someone told me they bought a 30 HP Kioti for $13,500 including front end loader and I am very tempted to try to get the same deal.

/ New member looking to replace 8N #4  
Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ken

/ New member looking to replace 8N #5  
Welcome to the forum. Have you went and looked at some of the tractors at the dealer. You may also get a trade in on your 8n. Probably $1000 for it.

/ New member looking to replace 8N #6  
A kubota L3200 would be a nice tractor for you but you can't get a mid pto so you would have to use a rear finish mower. A kubota L3540 would be good too. You can get a mid pto and run a mid mower. You would probably want a 6' rotary cutter to clear you tires. A Kubota B3200 may be a option too. It is smaller than your 8n but it will pull a 5ft rotary cutter and you can run a mmm on it.

/ New member looking to replace 8N #7  
Welcome.

/ New member looking to replace 8N #8  
fix the backfireing and hard starting before trading and you will get more money.. though a straight private sale will net you the most.

the back fire / hard start is likely simple wear / lack of maint issues that need to be addressed. ( start with spark and go to fuel ).. usualy palces to look are bad connections in the electrical, worn dizy bushings, and on the fuel side.. dirty needles/seats, restricted fuel flow. )

/ New member looking to replace 8N #9  
fix the backfireing and hard starting before trading and you will get more money.. though a straight private sale will net you the most.

the back fire / hard start is likely simple wear / lack of maint issues that need to be addressed. ( start with spark and go to fuel ).. usualy palces to look are bad connections in the electrical, worn dizy bushings, and on the fuel side.. dirty needles/seats, restricted fuel flow. )

/ New member looking to replace 8N
Wow, I forgot I had joined this site... and the post. I still have the 8N - friend changed the rotor to solid state and set the timing, replaced wiring, got it to stop backfiring and it worked all this time - just for mowing a few times a year, though it ran weak. I learned to live with bush hogging the front yard. :) Recently, I replaced the 6V generator with a 12V Alternator. Lots more power but ... I had to put the points back since the solid state was only 6 volts.
Now I need to figure out how to adjust the timing. Also, rear tires are dry rotting. I can get FREE 13.2X28 tires but .... 2 of 3 have "beards" on the bead. Can that be fixed or is it OK since they have inner tubes? And I am wondering if I can run those on 11.2X28 rims or need new rims.