New Idea - Top Link w/ Shear Pin

/ New Idea - Top Link w/ Shear Pin #11  
yea i can see a few problems with this idea, like say ya had an implement lifted up and were driving along, hit a bump and sheared the bolt,well when that thing slammed down to the point where it hit the stop that wouldnt alow it to move any further then ya would have one heck of a shock load and then ya would surely break something, or say ya were driving along transporting an implement and it sheared off on a bump, depending on the implement it could dig in and be like dropping an anchor and send you tumbling over the hood. just a bit of operator common sense is all that is needed to prevent 3pt damage, of course it seems that nowdays everyone with a few acres has a tractor and common sense isnt that common.

/ New Idea - Top Link w/ Shear Pin #12  
<font color="blue">...we'll just be looking at a broken tractor...</font>

Ken... you best make that design GOOD! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ New Idea - Top Link w/ Shear Pin #13  
1. "If pushing in reverse and the shear pin gives. The unit will want to rotate suddenly. Will that rotation catch
any other parts? or jam it into the back of tractor?"

The top link's mid section would slide together.. then stop at a point.. the end result being a shorter top
link. The implement would jump some.. but stop before jamming into the back of the tractor. Causing less
damage then a collapsed hitch might cause. Thankyou Tyler"

I think you have that backwards. When pushing in reverse with the tractor/blade, if you hit something & the shear pin goes, the blade will want to tuck down/ under, & the top link will extend. This sets up an uncomfortable position where lifting the 3pt up will not lift the blade - for a while anyhow. so the operator can only push the clutch in to save himself. The 3-point lower arms will rotate up, and I'm not sure where the geomotry will put all the parts if the driver doesn't get that clutch in in time. The blade could actually rotate under the tractor, should the top link limiter also fail in a double-shock load.

Generally tractors have more traction & speed in forward directions than backwards, so forward operations put more strain on the top link. But the whole 3-point is weaker when we use it in reverse, so the shear pin would need to be weak enough to go on the lower rear-ward tension, but not break under normal heavier forwards loads. But some of the worst shock loads could be going over bumps, which is again in the pull-apart mode - which should be weaker... Going to be a balancing act to make that work.

2. You greatly compromise the safety of any pto-powered implement if the upper arm can shorten rapidly. You greatly increase the chance of damaging your tractor pto & shaft if the upper arm can extend rapidly.

3. We sometimes use our tractors for man-lifts, 3pt forklift masts, backhoes, and other difficult, demading, and over-the-limit safety uses. In any of these cases, you want that upper link as solid & dependable as possible. A little 4" 'slam' from the broken shear pin could dump a 700lb load on the tractor seat, an operator on the backhoe seat into the rollbar, etc. You would have some liability issues with these applications - no more so than a hydraulic top link I know, but still something to think about. We live in that type of society.

I hang 1000lb sprayer on the back of a cat 1 tractor. When I hit a furrow, i broke a regular top link once. Will your shear pin take the load? If it does, will it protect the 3-point when I'm blading? What i'm saying is we really, really stress that top link. can you offer protection but allow me to use it to it's fullest need at the same time?

I'm not against your idea - I'm just brainstorming on issues to deal with. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck with the thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ New Idea - Top Link w/ Shear Pin #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think you have that backwards. When pushing in reverse with the tractor/blade, if you hit something & the shear pin goes, the blade will want to tuck down/ under, & the top link will extend )</font>

Hi Rambler....

My statement was based upon what happened to me, actually my toplink. When pushing backwards I bent the threaded rod on the toplink. This tells me it was rotating up. I can see how it could rotate down as well though.

/ New Idea - Top Link w/ Shear Pin #15  
JohnMiller3,

O.K., John...I'm a bit disappointed. As soon as I read the title post on this thread I immediately scanned down past all the responses until I found your name. I fully expected to see a picture of the described device. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You seem to pull out pics of just about anything and everything, so I guess we all just sort of expect it.

Anyone else do the same?

Seriously though, I know we all appreciate all those pics you manage to pull out of nowhere. I don't know how you do it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

~Rick