New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV
I should have done some also, but didn't think of it until later. Was in a hurry to get drywall up.

To the OP, keep up the work and the posts, but be safe in your work. Jon

I try to do my best at being safe, but often find myself on top of an 8’ latter. When installing the floor joists, my wife thought I was crazy when I took off walking the 10’ tall poured wall. I try not to do that stuff too often but, sometimes it just happens.

/ New House Build in WV
Today was a crazy day. Trusses were not scheduled until end of the week. Got a call while at work from the driver saying he was an hour and a half out from delivering them. Took off for home, 45 minute drive. I had a couple piles of rock in the way of where I wanted them, so jumped on the tractor and started moving it. Of course, it was raining and came a torrential down pour not long after I started. I just kept going and by the time I was done, every inch of me and the tractor was drenched. On the bright side, tractor got a well needed bath.

Tractor trailer hauling trusses could not get where I wanted, it just spun on the wet ground. I hooked my tractor up and pulled it in.

Talked with the crane guy and apparently I didn’t get them where they needed to be, so now I have to move them. Will call and rent a sky track fork lift for the weekend. While I have it, may go ahead and set the garage trusses. Sky track should reach those and maybe a few on the house, without issue. That will make things easier the following Saturday when the crane is here, if it works out. All depends on time and available help.

Taking tomorrow off work to move more rock and dirt. Also hope to get more of the double top plate installed.

Starting to stress a little about getting under roof, so need to make a lot of progress over the next two weeks to put my mind at ease some.

/ New House Build in WV #33  
That sure sounds like a very stressful day!!! Nothing worse then having a plan, and then all of a sudden, everything changes and you have a short deadline all of a sudden.

/ New House Build in WV
Definitely a stressful day. Today was better. Got lots of tractor therapy moving 25 tons of crushed concrete fill into the garage, moved about 20 times of river rock to just about finish my drains, and moved a lot of dirt out front. Nice to start seeing what the front yard and grade will look like.

I also secured a 10k sky track telehandler that will be delivered Friday afternoon and spend the weekend here. With any luck, I’ll get as many trusses up as possible.

Couple shots from the tractor just before finishing the drainage out front. Too dark for more once I finished.

IMG_7408.jpgIMG_7409.jpg

/ New House Build in WV #35  
C2822E8E-1177-4C25-8943-9A8FE0AB1245.jpeg6B67D47C-3E7D-4C5E-8CD5-989A3698BA1A.jpegFCB9770B-302C-45B7-B369-054C23380022.jpeg3FCAE980-D205-4CA8-95B6-3F9F6A31C1B9.jpegEF1F7C04-B54A-45CF-BC64-986A154D3919.jpegD8CC49FE-1ECD-427D-BC7B-E86DAD7A7A16.jpegE580A52D-1C3E-4DB0-901E-5855EA23258B.jpegBrother, you sound like me. Also living on site, dealing with the weather. I got no help, except a dog, moral support. Found out yesterday they can not get the 48 ft trusses around a corner. Yes, They had previewed the route twice. Garage trusses got delayed because the truck broke down.......and the checks in the mail.

They are suggesting I split the trusses and use a girder truss. I can稚 make that decision, Thats way above my pay grade so now I知 trying to put my design guy in touch with the truss co. And guess who痴 last on everyone痴 list.

My brother is a retired builder so, I know how it goes. I知 1 guy building one small custom house in a rain forest. If there is time, they will get to me. And simple common sense says you do not want to alienate them. I need them way more than they need me.

Truss lead time here just jumped to 8 weeks.

Good luck on your build and tell your helpers thx. Sometimes another set of hands for just 30 seconds will save hours!

/ New House Build in WV #36  
Why do you need 48 foot long trusses?

/ New House Build in WV
View attachment 668396View attachment 668397View attachment 668398View attachment 668399View attachment 668395View attachment 668394View attachment 668393Brother, you sound like me. Also living on site, dealing with the weather. I got no help, except a dog, moral support. Found out yesterday they can not get the 48 ft trusses around a corner. Yes, They had previewed the route twice. Garage trusses got delayed because the truck broke down.......and the checks in the mail.

They are suggesting I split the trusses and use a girder truss. I can稚 make that decision, Thats way above my pay grade so now I知 trying to put my design guy in touch with the truss co. And guess who痴 last on everyone痴 list.

My brother is a retired builder so, I know how it goes. I知 1 guy building one small custom house in a rain forest. If there is time, they will get to me. And simple common sense says you do not want to alienate them. I need them way more than they need me.

Truss lead time here just jumped to 8 weeks.

Good luck on your build and tell your helpers thx. Sometimes another set of hands for just 30 seconds will save hours!

You definitely had a lot of water to deal with, that would get frustrating for sure.

My trusses are 42’, 34’ over the house and 8’ over the front porch. Could have put the back porch on as well, but that would have added 10’ and been very difficult to handle, although it would have made the porch roof easier, I decided against it. I’ll add that roof with rafters. Also had half rafters made to go on the back behind the foyer. Foyer has a dormer that will be stick built. Those half rafters are the reason I have one weight bearing section of interior wall. Could have just framed between the girder trusses on the back side, but that added another step.

My trusses were delivered 2 1/2 weeks from ordering them.

/ New House Build in WV
I had a lot more work to do before putting trusses up than I thought, it took all day Saturday and the first couple of hours on Sunday morning before I could get the first o e up.

The 10k machine worked perfectly and we made decent progress. Had to quit earlier than I wanted so I could go get a couple more boxes of nails. Will start again in the morning and try to get across to where all the vaulted trusses are done. If we get that far, it will only leave 8-9 left on the house and the the 14 for the garage. Also still need to sheet the end truss and put it up.

I hope to get the same machine next weekend and finish the remaining trusses.

Here is a few shots of where we ended. Still need to do more bracing, but got enough up to make everything solid for the night.

IMG_7446.jpgIMG_7445.jpgIMG_7446.jpgIMG_7447.jpg

/ New House Build in WV #39  
I had a lot more work to do before putting trusses up than I thought, it took all day Saturday and the first couple of hours on Sunday morning before I could get the first o e up.

The 10k machine worked perfectly and we made decent progress. Had to quit earlier than I wanted so I could go get a couple more boxes of nails. Will start again in the morning and try to get across to where all the vaulted trusses are done. If we get that far, it will only leave 8-9 left on the house and the the 14 for the garage. Also still need to sheet the end truss and put it up.

I hope to get the same machine next weekend and finish the remaining trusses.

Here is a few shots of where we ended. Still need to do more bracing, but got enough up to make everything solid for the night.

View attachment 668860View attachment 668861View attachment 668860View attachment 668859

Trusses look very similar to mine. Mine were 36' + 8' over the porch. Are you setting some posts for support? Or complete floating them. I have 4 posts over 36 feet of porch width. Thanks for the posts. Looking good. Jon

/ New House Build in WV #40  
Love seeing trusses all lined up!!!