New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
Lookin' good Tom, that front door is beautiful. :thumbsup: What size are those tiles in your laundry room, 16"?

Thanks. My wife did a great job on the stain and finishing! The laundry room tiles are indeed 16". Made for a fast install.

/ New Home Begins #572  
You guys are doing a real nice job, looking forward to the rest of your progress.

/ New Home Begins
What a way to spend a vacation. Marathon mode style.

Over the past five days we have:

1) cut, bent and installed all aluminum trim on the house. Of course I had to do this during the east coast heat wave. My wife worked the brake and I gave her dimensions and install them.

2) Completely tiled the main bathroom.

3) Completely painted the great room. All painting is complete.

4) Tiled the master bath tub surround. We still need to do the floor and grouting.

5) Go the garage doors installed.

6) Ordered the flooring that will be delivered next week. 1800 sq ft of hardwood.

7) Hooked up some electric. As a bonus ... the utility came out today and hooked up the electric. It is so nice to not have to run a generator.

Hope you all had a relaxing fourth of july.

/ New Home Begins
We have been very busy. The electric is finally hooked up. No more generator!! :cool2: And that means AC and lighting and fans! We have been putting up the lighting and turning circuits on as we go.

P1030064.jpg P1030068.jpg P1030069.jpg

Now that we have electric, we also have water for tile work and clean up. Still too much chlorine in the well to drink but that will be soon.

The septic went in over the past few days:

IMAG1522.jpg IMAG1523.jpg IMAG1525.jpg

I finished the exterior trim work during the last heat wave.

P1030017.jpg P1030026.jpg

And we have started on the flooring installation.

P1030065.jpg P1030067.jpg

edit: fixed bad attachment link

Last edited:
   / New Home Begins #575  
Wow, things are really coming along nicely Tom, looks great.

/ New Home Begins #576  
Things are looking great, the septic system is unique, what type of system is it?

Dave

/ New Home Begins
Things are looking great, the septic system is unique, what type of system is it?

Dave

It is a sand mound. 1000 gallon tank leading to a 22' x 49' field. The field is comprised of 6 rows of accumulators. Something like this picture (not ours). It just so happens that we had to have so much fill brought in that they were able to keep the "mound" pretty level with the rest of the ground.

septic accumulator.JPG

Sorry, I do not have any pictures of the "during" process as I was at work.

/ New Home Begins #578  
It is a sand mound. 1000 gallon tank leading to a 22' x 49' field. The field is comprised of 6 rows of accumulators. Something like this picture (not ours). It just so happens that we had to have so much fill brought in that they were able to keep the "mound" pretty level with the rest of the ground.

View attachment 327936

Sorry, I do not have any pictures of the "during" process as I was at work.

I was wondering about that. I saw the sand, but no mound. I have never seen one where it did not look like a submarine was buried in the yard. I have always wondered why they don't allow the removal of a large area of original soil and replacing it with sand. That type of system has become very popular in our area. The standards to meet the perc tests have gotten so restrictive that it is often the only way to get a system. It also happens in our area when it is time to replace an existing system. There are people have been in their house for 40 years and suddenly end up with the unsightly mound in their front yard. Do you have any idea how much more that system costs than a conventional drain field? We have had pumped fields at the last 2 houses so that the system can exist in the highest and driest part of the yard. I wondered if the premium (short and long term) of the pumped system is the same or higher than the sand mound. I think our pumped system cost us a $5500 premium!

Lee

/ New Home Begins #579  
Tom, don't put anything at the entrance to your great room that people can stumble over. I can tell you from experience that when folks enter that room, they will be lookin' up and not where they are walkin'. That's a beautiful loft ceiling.:thumbsup:

327905d1374060473-new-home-begins-p1030064.jpg

/ New Home Begins #580  
They use that type of drainage tunnels around here, in single trenches.

Are you required to have a filter before the drain feild?

Dave