New Holland TC45 Fuel Injection Pump Problem

/ New Holland TC45 Fuel Injection Pump Problem #1  

jjaphipps22

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45S, Ford 1620-Sold, Ford 4100-Sold, Hinomoto C174-Sold, Allis Chalmers 5015-Sold, Farmall Super C, Farmall 140
First Post, so I will start off by saying hello and thank you since I have used this site many times in the past to help with issues on my other tractors. Here is my issue, I just purchased a TC45S that has been sitting for a few years and I am attempting to get this thing started but have been unsuccessful to this point. I have no fuel after the injection pump. I have ran a jumper to the solenoid (even though i bench tested it and turned out fine and confirmed it has power installed), confirmed fuel flow to the filter and fuel pump, confirmed the fuel pump (this tractor has a engine mounted pump) to the bleeder bolt. I had a similar problem on my Ford 1620 after a tear down and rebuild earlier this year and it turned out I needed to use a 12v inline fuel pump (this tractor did not have a fuel pump, it used gravity feed) to push fuel through the injection pump to bleed it and then all was fine. FYI I have tried the same thing on the TC45 and it just pushed fuel out of the injector bleed off lines that run back to the filter housing. What am I missing here? Do I need to take the pump in for testing and possibly repair?

Attachments

• Tractor TC45.JPG
    Tractor TC45.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 969
   / New Holland TC45 Fuel Injection Pump Problem
I got a little further tonight and found the fuel injection pump slide rack stuck to the injection pump plungers x2. The problem now is that I cannot remove the injection pump from the engine block due to the slide not moving and allowing me to disconnect the governor rod. I tried removing the injection pump plungers, fuel control valve etc. and found the two that were stuck. I am myself stuck at this point, anyone have any ideas how to break the plungers free from the slide?

/ New Holland TC45 Fuel Injection Pump Problem #3  
IF you have an electric shut off on the machine, remove it 1st..
some well placed TAPS w/ a hammer & punch will move the rack.. The rack will bend easily so be careful..

The fuel stop solenoid has been removed and I can see through that hole that the slide rack is in the closed position (which is why the injectors are not pumping out fuel). Since its in the closed position the rack can not be tapped it must be moved towards the open position. I think i may try to go into the injection pump through the barrel and plunger and attempt to move the rack there allowing me to get it out enough to remove the governor lever or possible use a double nut to remove the studs from the engine block to allow for enough clearance to get to the governor lever.

/ New Holland TC45 Fuel Injection Pump Problem #5  
NO STOP. DONT DO THAT..
Just lift the pump up as far as you can & get a screwdriver in there.. The P&B's are VERY FRAGIL & unforgiving..

The pump would only lift maybe a 1/4" and i was worried about doing damage to the engine block mating surfaces (I did however try lightly prying up on the pump to no avail). I took the pump apart down to the plunger and then took a brass punch, small ball pin, and some PB blaster and with some light tapping on the plunger and then wiggling the pump as much as I could it finally broke lose. I then was able to detach it from the governor lever. The slide rack was very stuck, but I was able to free it up. I was not confident putting the pump back in without it being bench tested so I dropped it off at the local fuel injection shop. I will let you know what happens once I get it back.

i took the pump to my local injection service shop and the pump needed rebuilding. Instead of rebuilding though he gave me a new pump from a caterpillar skid steer (Perkins engine) that for perfectly and only had a little difference in the plunger helix. Anyways I got the tractor started but it has a terrible bottom end knock. I guess I will be starting another thread to try and figure that out.

/ New Holland TC45 Fuel Injection Pump Problem #8  
A little difference in the helix?? THATS what controls the fuel delivery..
Did you get the injectors checked?? IF the pump was stuck.. so isn't the injectors.. that might be where the knock is coming from..
So now your starting your diagnosis w/ the WRONG injection pump on the engine.. not good..
Take the injectors out & get them cleaned & tested.. & get YOUR pump done..

Thanks for the replies, the injection pump i was given was for a caterpillar skid steer. I have found that Shibaura, Perkins, and Caterpillar had/have a joint venture for manufacturing engines and the pump i received may in fact not be the problem at all. I will need however to confirm that the injection pumps are interchangeable, the reason for not just having my pump rebuilt is because it cost twice as much to be rebuilt compared to this new pump i was provided. See the attached link for what I am referring too A Peek at the Small Bore Diesel Market - Engine Builder Magazine. I do not think I am playing with fire here, I just need to do a little research before I run off with trying this new injection pump. FYI I have a N844L engine in my TC45. The knock definitely sounded like it was a crank/rod issues, but I hope its only a fuel problem. I will pull the oil pan and filter then go from there. I appreciate any other feedback you all can provide, at least you have me second guessing the pump at this point.