New Firestone radials on M7040.

/ New Firestone radials on M7040. #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Here on some pics of new radials on the rear of my M7040. I would have bought front as well but can't get the 9.5x24 in radial. Maybe later. These are Firestone "All Traction DT" and I like that pattern better than the "Performer 85" radial series that has a slightly shallower tread and different shaped bars. There is so much rubber they almost look like an agricultural R-4 tire.

Radials work for me because I have to trailer things with limited weight totals yet sometimes need to pull an 8 ft chisel plow. With a bigger tractor, the weight is too much for the truck. With the lighter weight M7040, radials give me a dramatic increase in pulling power. In addition, I often drive over septic systems or lawns and the radial @6 psi barely leaves a mark. Radials are just perfect for this, or really any agricultural work.

IMG_6747.JPG

Out with the old Firestone SAT 23

IMG_6748.JPG IMG_6749.JPG

In with the new.

/ New Firestone radials on M7040. #2  
They look over aired. Should be some squat to those radials. You will love the radial.

/ New Firestone radials on M7040. #3  
DOGS:

WHY DO radials give you a dramatic increase in pulling power? Obviously bigger cleats but what other reasons?

Are radials ever filled with liquid, or always air?

I have some cloudy ideas about experimenting with radials when tire change is necessary on my L3560.

I always use Michelin radial tires on my cars.

Last edited:
   / New Firestone radials on M7040. #4  
Those look so much better than the originals! Let us know how you like them.

/ New Firestone radials on M7040.
They look over aired. Should be some squat to those radials. You will love the radial.

They sure are over-inflated. I do that for a few days to make sure they seat. I've had them leak at the bead when new. They will go to 6 PSI but have 20 psi in now.

DOGS:

WHY DO radials give you a dramatic increase in pulling power? Obviously bigger cleats but what other reasons?

I have some cloudy ideas about experimenting with radials when tire change is necessary on my L3560.

I always use Michelin radial tires on my cars.

It's the lower air pressure and construction of the tire sidewall that allows the tire to sit flatter to the ground for a greater footprint. That distributes weight over a bigger surface and puts more horsepower to the ground rather than just slipping away. The deeper lugs really make a difference if you have the HP to make use of them.

Those look so much better than the originals! Let us know how you like them.

Michelin makes a great car/truck tire and a great ag tire as well. I just like Firestone ag tires and I think Michelin owns Firestone anyway.

I have a set of four of these All Traction DT Firestone radials on a 90 HP Deere and they are impressive and then some. I can seriously out pull a similar tractor with bias tires and the difference is like a 1960's car tire and a modern Michelin radial. Plus in clay ground compaction is way reduced. You are right and they sure do look better.

/ New Firestone radials on M7040. #6  
How many "ply" are radials? Are ply layers optional? I do considerable work around our community burn pile, which is trashy at times.

Do you think radials are as puncture resistant as R4s?

How many "ply" are radials? Are ply layers optional? I do considerable work around our community burn pile, which is trashy at times.

Do you think radials are as puncture resistant as R4s?

I believe radials are one steel ply that makes up the whole sidewall and tire itself and then several more steel layers were put under where the tread will go. That's what I remember. The sidewalls need to be flexible to make things work.

They are much tougher than bias tires and I can't recall ever seeing one with a puncture. Guys run them in corn stubble at harvest and that takes years to wear the edges out. Bias ply wouldn't last a season. There may be some R4's that are specially made tougher but I'm not sure on that.

/ New Firestone radials on M7040. #9  
Have you used radials on the front when using a FEL? I'm curious how they handle the load.

Have you used radials on the front when using a FEL? I'm curious how they handle the load.

I have. On the Deere 5520 they are the metric equal to 12.4x24 and I pump them up to maybe 28 psi when the loader is on. They handle great at that number with no tire roll or anything with heavy loads. They handle the load just fine.