New Everlast 160STH unpacked

/ New Everlast 160STH unpacked #11  
   / New Everlast 160STH unpacked
for an extra fifty bucks, I definitely wanted a foot pedal/treadle and paid for it.
I think they must source it differently but it would have been nice to confirm that with me, like
box one of two.

I had a nice chat with Mark at Everlast on this, I'm confident it will show up shortly. And since I understand it's only for TIG,
it will be some time before I venture into that. Thanks Steve.

/ New Everlast 160STH unpacked #13  
Drew you can have him ship that pedal off at my place... for now:).. I sure wish I could put a pedal on my PA160, and a built in gas solenoid, and HF start while I was at it.. as you can tell I am jealous as heck of your new toy. Drew you are started down a long road, with many twists and turns, but you can have fun with the journey, I wish I was there to show you a few things, but you get the joy of making your own mistakes and learning from them... I sure wish you good luck on your new welding endeavors .:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ New Everlast 160STH unpacked #15  
Well I have never tried it... I weld over 0 to 3/4 gravel, it makes some mess.. I don't think you would like the looks of in your nice driveway

But why weld on the driveway? Get a welding table and only small sparks will ever reach the driveway. I actually use one of those portable scaffold rigs on wheels. Allows me to set the height either to sit or more often to stand while welding outdoors.

/ New Everlast 160STH unpacked #16  
Drew, I may have neglected to tell you to download the US manual online...here: http://www.everlastgenerators.com/downloads/PowerArc-Series-140ST-160-200.pdf

The reason the voltage drops is because it lowers as the amps are lowered and is the point at which the duty cycle coincides...Remember you don't weld with just amps, you weld with volts...well...really its watts that you weld with (VxA).

/ New Everlast 160STH unpacked #17  
The foot pedal you are looking at is the "premium" US made pedal from SSC controls. That pedal costs us a lot more than the factory pedal that is shipped to you. It probably got separated. If you don't get it, I'll see if I can get hold of the tracking. The pedal that should have shipped to you looks like this one at the top of the page: Welding Supplies | Welder | Welding Machine

The pedals are different as they have different potentiometer values.

But why weld on the driveway? Get a welding table and only small sparks will ever reach the driveway. I actually use one of those portable scaffold rigs on wheels. Allows me to set the height either to sit or more often to stand while welding outdoors.

With herniated discs in my neck and lower back, doing a lot of bending over is a no go for me. so your idea of an adjustable work stand sounds super. I think ergonomics would be important here in order to hold the weld straight and consistent. I'm likely to do much of my welding sitting down on an adjustable chair, so I'll work on making this comfortable, or I won't weld as much.

as far as the driveway, i'd have to lay something down on it. At the farm, I've got inch plus gravel to work on, no problem.
But I think of the gasoline and propane tanks in my garage and all the other things that don't like fire and maybe until I know what I'm doing I'll stay on gravel...I'll put on a show for the neighbors when I'm not making Frankenwelds.

I've been watching videos like mad: like this one, can't believe this guy has made 500 videos. But I found this video well recorded; I could actually see what was going on. Must take an interesting camera setting.

How To Weld: Stick Weld Troubleshooting - YouTube

Mark,
thanks, I figure it just didn't get in the box, and I'm sure the "regular" foot pedal will do just fine.
Those pedals are surprisingly expensive, not much to them...and at least a fifty dollar swing in price, and the "cheap" ones
aren't particularly cheap.

and of course things make infinitely more sense with the manual, and you likely did tell me btw.
all's well ,need to finish my outfitting and reading and wait for a warmer day, which actually today is going up into the fifties after five inches of snow yesterday, but I will wait for a nice dry day to press the button for the first time.
Drew

/ New Everlast 160STH unpacked #20  
Mark,
thanks, I figure it just didn't get in the box, and I'm sure the "regular" foot pedal will do just fine.
Those pedals are surprisingly expensive, not much to them...and at least a fifty dollar swing in price, and the "cheap" ones
aren't particularly cheap.

and of course things make infinitely more sense with the manual, and you likely did tell me btw.
all's well ,need to finish my outfitting and reading and wait for a warmer day, which actually today is going up into the fifties after five inches of snow yesterday, but I will wait for a nice dry day to press the button for the first time.
Drew

Don't complain about the Everlast remote cost until you price the Miller version! Several hundred$.