New BCS Setup

/ New BCS Setup
The 749's PowerSafe clutch and that fact it can use all the same implements as the 853. Previously I have had some slow moving disasters with the older tiller's inertia after releasing the safety and the pain to get going again when the engine dies. When the PowerSafe is released the PTO and tractor immediately stop without killing the engine or dropping out of gear or disengaging PTO. You can go move that rock, rope, whatever and reengage PowerSafe and you are back off and running again in seconds. My only regret is not getting the bigger tires for when i am working a large hilled and deeply furrowed row like my potatoes. The bottom of the engine plate drags on top of bed and sometimes gets it stuck. It needs a bit more clearance that bigger tires would give.

/ New BCS Setup #12  
Hi Supaflys :)

Welcome to this great forum, and congratulations on your new BCS 749 :thumbsup:

Some of the features of the PowerSafe clutch that you mention, are exactly some of the nice features that I have learned to appreciate during my 9 years working with the BCS 740. I use my tractor mostly for mowing, and whether I have to stop for a few seconds on a grade, or have to empty the bag on my lawn mower, I also find the "breaking feature" very convenient. It works a bit like the "Auto Hold" function on my car. - It is like an automatic handbrake that engages as soon as one lets go of the left handlebar - but only if the tractor is in gear though!!!

Working on slopes up to 20 degrees (36 %), I have had a few "near misses", when I was changing between forward and reverse, and the reverse lever by accident - or clumsiness on my part - got stuck in neutral, halfway between the two. In that case gravity takes control, just as if you would select neutral with the normal gear lever. To minimise the risk that this unpleasant and scary experience will happen again, I try to plan my working pattern so that I will only change direction when on level ground, or when standing perpendicular to a slope. The same goes for changing gear of course, as the tractor will be in neutral for a split second between gears at best, or won't select the new gear at all! In the latter case one will realise that gravity is real, and that it is a mighty opponent for an old man like me :thumbdown:

As you have seen in other threads already perhaps, I and other members are recommending large diameter wheels for most jobs. I sadly didn't know this great forum as I decided to get my BCS 740 back in 2011, so I got it with the small standard 5x10x20'' wheels. On paper, the larger 6.5x12x23'' wheels might seem like an insignificant increase in wheel size, but the extra 3'' wheel diameter will almost double the ground clearance under the engine! See #1 in the thread "Zanon ZCR 800 lawn mower".

Have fun with your new "toy" :thumbsup:

Best regards

Jens