New BCS Setup

/ New BCS Setup #1  

Supaflys

Tractor
BCS 749 & Troy Horse
Run a school garden and used this image in a grant proposal to help explain a BCS and it's accessories...
BCS.png
and ...... we got the grant!
IMG_1496.jpg

Big upgrade from the old horse
IMG_1346.jpeg

/ New BCS Setup #2  
You will love it - 100x better than an ordinary tiller.

/ New BCS Setup
This how the garden looked during its better years
IMG_0781 3.31.05 PM.jpg

After a five years of just weed wacking and roto tilling the weed pressure got to be insane. So this year we went fallow during the summer to solarize and will keep it under better control using the new gardening techniques we can employ with BCS

Last edited:
   / New BCS Setup #4  
Congratulations on the new walk behind my Grillo will out till any troybuilt ever made. BCS tillers are based on the Grillo design

/ New BCS Setup #5  
Really nice outfit, will last for years. Two days ago, I went to the shed and drained the old gas and put in fresh gas in my 1987 BCS 735, it started on the second pull. It hasn't been used in two or three years since I gave up gardening.

/ New BCS Setup
So I have used three of the BCS attachments thus far.

30" Rollerblade Flail Mower: A+ This thing is a beast and really devours and shreds everything it pushes over. Negatives? It can be a pain to hitch and unhitch due to alignment. Pry bar helps with stuck un mounts and making sure PTO spokes are prealigned helps with mounting. Was able to find things that were lost in turf like an old rubber hose and a utility cable tv run that should have been buried and are now disconnected with force.

30" BCS Power Harrow: B- Produces a very nice seed bed and the depth lever is easy to use. Negatives: The roller has two hex set screws to keep it centered that are not holding well even after tightening. When it slides out of alignment the roller binds on the side nuts of the frame and the roller drags. Also when being moved or cleaned on its side, two of the top covers are seeping oil. I think I am going to have to find some nylon spacers and/or some bolts with a smaller head diameter so this is not reoccurring issue.

Dozer Blade: A+ Reshaped and compressed a compost and brush pile with it. Good fun, effective, and would be even better in dualie wheel config. I got the box blade kit but I have not drilled the holes for it yet. Will need some time with the drill press.

Last edited:
   / New BCS Setup #7  
Hello Supaflys,

You can solve the set screw issue with a little work. Remove the set screws one at time and take a sharp small drill bit and drill a small dimple in the hole.

After that you can lock the set screws in place with a little blue Loctite.

I can sympathize with the with you about garden hoses they are just plain vicious once disturbed and leave nasty bite marks.
Try the trick with drilling a dimple in the shaft and the set screw will stay there after you use some blue Loctite on the threads.

/ New BCS Setup
Thank you for the idea! The dimpling seems to have held on harrow yesterday evening. I half wondered if the factory already dimpled the shaft, but due to the hidden nature of the shaft and the side to side play it would be very difficult to find without disassembly. I marked the current roller to shaft rotation and spacing incase of a future slippage makes a realignment to find the dimples and retighten necessary. I will give the 30" BCS Power Harrow a second chance to love. It is very easy to lift and do a 180 turn at the end of the row, even without a bumper weight, and with that integrated quick hitch it keeps the center mass tight. The old horse tiller use to make a real mess of at the end of the rows while pivoting and I was always a bit on edge of it getting wild on me near a fence without something like the power safe clutch to halt it quickly.

/ New BCS Setup #9  
I'd like to have one myself but an older one with a diesel, not gas. Far as weeds, what Roundup is for. I use Roundup (Glyphosate) every spring about 3 weeks before I plant. No weeds to speak of.

/ New BCS Setup #10  
Run a school garden and used this image in a grant proposal to help explain a BCS and it's accessories...

I am looking at getting a new BCS. I was wondering why you went with the 749 instead of the 853. Thanks