New Aquiline Talon tire chains!

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #21  
First, thanks to Freddieboy for posting that link to the installation video. Just want to mention that the chains they are putting on the front tractor wheel are a different style from the Flexi style. The Flexi has the aggressive studs like the Aquilines.
Second, the extra chain around the sidewall that they show in the Trygg video is only recommended for low-profile tractor tires, which are not what you normally see on the rear of compact tractors.
Third, thanks to Gordon Gould for that excellent explanation of why the chains should be slightly loose on tractor tires, as opposed to car and truck tires.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #22  
In regard to Crazyal wondering if the tire chain companies just buy the chain from the same supplier, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Trygg seems to be a good sized company that is proud to offer a wide range of styles, shapes and thicknesses of chains, much more than would be obtainable from some generic supplier. I figure they probably do the whole manufacturing process. Could be wrong...

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #23  
I think Skowhegan is about 60 miles from me, that's why I went down to Union Farm Equipment,15 miles, not far. But still might be worth checking out that place in Skowhegan, I cant find Telefsdal tire chains anywhere online. I did find one place online that sell Trygg tire chains, (Quality Chain Corp). OUCH! $1800.00, I'm not related to Bill Gates. But if the chains came with a no BS 20 year warranty against breaking/warring out, I'd buy them, then all I have to worry about is living long enough to ware them out. So far I've lived long enough to learn that it takes a lot of $$$ to prevent speaking.

Now Its Christmas eve, the power is out, generator is on for God knows how long, waiting for Santa to bring me a Norway tractor, the one I can put chains on the front end, as apposed to Kubota saying NO NO NO chains on the front tires.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #24  
I have a set of light v-bar chains on the front. Lots of big gaps, small vee's. They do help with some traction but the main thing is they help with steering on icy surfaces. I don't know about Kubota and no chains on the front, sounds odd. My front tires have plenty of slippage with the light v-bar chains on.

I could see not putting on the same studded chains as I have in the rear, on the front as common sense. The rear chains bite so well the tire will creep inside the chain if forced.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #25  
There are two reasons I know of to have the chains loose.
First picture a car tire with a tight chain. This is good. Because the tire is relitively flat with a tight tread design compared to the chain link size. No matter what the tire rolls over the chain will have a tire backing. The tire will support the vehicle not the chain and the tension in the chain will not increase.
Now put a tight chain on an ag tire where the chain bridges big void spaces between the tire lugs. When the chain rolls over a rock between two lugs there is a hole there so there is no tire backing behind the chain. Now the weight of the tractor is being held up by a short piece of chain bridged across two lugs. The tire is no longer supporting the tractor the chain is. The tension in the chain increases to many times the weight of the tractor. Think of it this way - tie a 20' rope to a tree about 3' off the ground. Run the rope thru a concrete block lying on the ground 10' away. Grab the other end of the rope about belt high and pull horizontally to pick up the block. The pull or tension in the rope has to be much, much greater than the block weight to pick it up. Basically the same thing happens to tight chains on ag tires, there is tremendous pressure on the lugs and high tension on the chain. If you loosen the chains they can collapse down between the lugs and be supported by the tire. The chain tension will not skyrocket. You get your traction where the chain goes over the top of the lugs.
Adding tensioners lets then run tight but also allows the chains to stretch down between the lugs.

The second reason for loose chains is so they will be self unloading of packed snow or mud. The loose chain shakes the packed snow off the chain/tire so it won't build up an reduce traction.

Edit - I don't t run tensioners on mine, I have plenty of clearance so the chains don't hit anything. They stay centered just fine.

gg

I'm with Gordon on this one.. I also have the Tellefsdal (pronounced tell- effs- doll or dahl since you asked :)) chains, they were marketed under the name Super Tractor and sold by Norse, but made by Tellefsdal . I have the cast steel couplers with the drive pin to link the ends of the center links, but each set of chains (per side) only has 2 of them, they aren't used between each section of center links.
I've had them for 4 years now, zero problems, and I do mean zero! No appreciable wear, even running a few miles on asphalt every winter. My Kubota dealer had them, Nova International, paid around $550 IIRC. I run mine loose as a goose, as per the instructions. They need to be loose to grip and shift around properly, according to Tellefsdal, they should actually rotate around the tire to prevent undue wear and stress. They say 30-50 cm rotation is desirable after driving a distance of 1 km.

A direct quotation is "Right tightening is very important for not getting damages on the chain or tire. Check the chain fitting by driving 1 km. During this distance the chain should move about 30-50 cm on the tire. If the chain doesn't circulate it will cause extensive wear." That's from the manual that came with my chains. Like Gordon, I don't use tensioners of any kind.

I've never had them come off, even under some pretty severe snow and brush conditions in the woods. Running them loose also makes for a much smoother ride on hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt. All you get is a very merry jingling noise, with the occasional hop as the chain bunches up and goes under the tire.

DSC00192.jpg DSC01376.jpg DSC01375.jpg

YMMV as might be expected.

Sean

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #26  
I have a set of light v-bar chains on the front. Lots of big gaps, small vee's. They do help with some traction but the main thing is they help with steering on icy surfaces. I don't know about Kubota and no chains on the front, sounds odd. My front tires have plenty of slip
I could see not putting on the same studded chains as I have in the rear, on the front as common sense. The rear chains bite so well the tire will creep inside the chain if forced.

That's what I want do is help with steering, what tractor do you have? Mind is a L3400 with 16" tires on front, and I have a old set of 16"V bar pickup truck chains I like to put on front but don't dare to until I here someone else do it.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #27  
People posting on here faster than I can type, I think it's because the power was out and I was running the house off the generator, I should be able to type faster now.
"I'm with Gordon on this one.. I also have the Tellefsdal (pronounced tell- effs- doll or dahl" First thanks pronouncing that name.

I just came back from Union Farm Equipment got a price on new set of Talon tire chains for 11.2-24 AG tire,$580.00 8mm, I don't know if I want to go down that road again since having problems with the set I have, and he said there made in China, not a fan. I told the salesman I started having chain breaking problems, and just as I thought he'd say, "that's the first we ever heard of that" at least he didn't say it was because of global warming. Then I ask his expert opinion on how tight the chains should be, he said tighter the better and he always tells his customers to let some air out when putting them on. I don't really want to mess with letting air out of loaded tires.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #28  
Well, the alternative is to try running them loose.. what do you really have to lose?

Sean

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #29  
When I first got my Talon tire chains in Nov. (07) I put them on snug and straight with no tensioners, and within a few weeks the chain were all over the place, to the point that they look like they was half on and half off, it irk me, and I don't like to be IRK. That's what crooked tire chains does to me, and when the chains break after spending $500.00+$$$, that cause me to get out the Ford wrench and........
Last year I tried putting 1/4" chains on from the rim to the side chains to keep them on straight, that's what we did 30 years ago on Skidders, run side chain to the rim, it work and even tighten them up, but according to this forum, chains aren't suppose to be tight. So this year I put on those fancy spring tensioners on my tractor, I know everybody is jealous because they don't have them on their tractor. But if the chains stay on straight and wont break when I haul a log out, I'll be a happy camper, testing 123..................

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #30  
That's what I want do is help with steering, what tractor do you have? Mind is a L3400 with 16" tires on front, and I have a old set of 16"V bar pickup truck chains I like to put on front but don't dare to until I here someone else do it.

Oldie, I run 2 link v-bars on my l3400 for the past 4 years with no issues. Fronts only. My needs aree expanding now and I'm considering chaining up the rears to to help get up the hills dragging the ground driven spreader.