New 5740 Owner PTO Issues

/ New 5740 Owner PTO Issues #1  

btaylor154

Tractor
Massey 2705e Kubota L185
Hey guys new to the forum thanks for having me! Well hoping someone can help get me pointed in the right direction. This past weekend I purchased a 5740 at auction at what I thought was a good price for what it is, got it for what I was seeing 33hp tractors sell for. Tractor runs beautiful FEL works perfect it does have the shuttle shift issue grinds going into reverse and I have to hold it in place, I can deal with that for the time being.

The issue I am currently hoping to solve since brush hogging was a big reason for the purchase of the tractor is with the PTO. With no load on it the PTO Shaft spins with no issue, when I have the brush hog attached it slowly comes up to speed but as soon as I try to start cutting it slows to the point of stopping. If it is spinning and I turn the PTO off it stops abruptly. This happens in both the auto and manual modes. Tractor doesn't bog or anything just the PTO has little to no power.

Any ideas on what to look into would be great I am really hoping this would be something I can fix somewhat easily so my decent purchase doesn't turn into a huge headache.

Thanks!

/ New 5740 Owner PTO Issues #2  
btaylor,

Welcome to the forum. I have owned a 5740C since 2005 and the only time I have experienced anything like what you are describing with the PTO was when I had a problem with the manual/auto switch. Otherwise, I've never had a problem and when I changed out the switch, mine then worked fine. Just a thought but what size brush hog are you pulling with your 5740? I pull an 8 footer with mine. Also, how heavy is the area you are trying to brush hog? If you are trying to pull a bigger brush hog than 8 footer and the area has real heavy brush, that could also be part of your problem.

/ New 5740 Owner PTO Issues #3  
PTO clutch? I don't know about your model, but probably not an easy fix.

Does the mower have a slip clutch? It would be nice if it did and this was where things are slipping. Test: Is it the mower that stops turning or the pto shaft out of the tractor that slows/stops when under load?

/ New 5740 Owner PTO Issues
6ft Brush Hog on it and trying to cut knee deep Grass and Brush not anything crazy. I don't currently have a slipper on the shaft so it is the PTO Shaft itself slowing and coming to a stop.

I had read on a different Model that there is a adjustment somewhere under the right side that controls how harsh the engagement is and if too loose can cause a slipping, not sure if this has that but I think its not the issue since it stops as hard as it does when turning the PTO off.

Maybe I'll have to try by passing the switch see if its some how in the switch itself, but I'm thinking its not that unfortunately.

Last edited:
   / New 5740 Owner PTO Issues #5  
If your pto is turned on/off by a switch you will have an electrical solenoid being activated by that switch,
usually a solenoid is on or off, you may have an adjustable valve controlling the flow to the solenoid.
If you can check the volume and pressure before and after the solenoid that will verify its functioning.
If the solenoid is good and passing adequate flow and pressure, I would suspect your pto wet clutches.
They can be a pain to get to, occasionally you will find a tractor that you can access them from without to much difficulty.
Good Luck

Thanks Lou I was hoping it would be a flow issue like that and not a clutch issue, I'll have to do some more digging. I'm coming up short on finding much info on this model.

Well got some time to mess with the tractor last night was only able to by pass the switch and hard wire the solenoid and tried messing with the adjuster screw. I don't have the tools to try and test pressure but I was only able to make it worse unfortunately. Went to the extremes with the adjustment screw full out made it weaker and spin down slow not lock up when shut off, full tight make it act same as usual. So put it back to where it was to start, tractor only has 373 hrs on it so I'd kind of be surprised the clutch is smoked but not sure.

Is it possible that the filter isn't flowing well enough to power the solenoid but still manage to work the loader and 3pt lift? Not sure if any maintenance was actually done to this tractor in its life so may still have all factory filters and fluids in it.

Just looking at ideas before having to take in it and getting hit with a hefty bill.

/ New 5740 Owner PTO Issues #8  
When you consider that you have two transmission related problems, it seems likely you have some significant internal damage that involves both problems. I think the more you use it, the more you are likely to damage it further. I think you now know why it was priced so low.

I don't see how the 2 issues really are connected in any way, obviously I am not using it currently besides trying to test it. Not trying to force it to work while it isn't correct just trying different things to see if I can track down the problem and fix it.

/ New 5740 Owner PTO Issues #10  
I think that you are going to need to find a service manual for your tractor.
These people have something and I looked at the parts breakdown,
Montana 5740 Tractor Parts Catalog
If you don't find the problem easily and external looking at the parts breakdown it could be a royal pain, good luck.