Neoprene Rubber gluing?

/ Neoprene Rubber gluing? #11  
A very knowledgeable old timer once told me if glue is to work you need to get as much air out of what your trying to bond by applying lots of pressure, It usually works for me.

/ Neoprene Rubber gluing? #12  
Well it is but I'm now just trying it on little chunks to see if something works. I do put my drill index on it for some pressure but the pieces are only about 2 x 2" in size.
As the previous poster Fuddyduddy1952 posted, super glue could be tried. Super glue, which is a cyanoacrylate adhesive, forms a great bond with neoprene rubbers. Are you trying to make a butt joint? If so I don't think any of the super glues will work. But there are some that incorporate neoprene rubber in the adhesive itself and they will probably work for a lap joint. So, if you are using a lap joint, which is the only type of joint I have ever used when joining belting, I think a super glue made for joining rubber would work very well. See the links below for adhesives that may work for you.
There are many other rubber toughened cyanoacrylate adhesives available that would probably work for you but I don't know your particular situation. For sure if you want the best bond then you must make sure that the area to be bonded is very clean. No oils can be present. No dust either. I have seen many bond failures occur because the bond area was not properly cleaned. I have cheated a few times when it came to cleanliness and paid the price of a failed bond. I learned my lesson and have not had a failed bond for at least 40 years. I am very careful now and make sure the area to be bonded is absolutely clean. I learned to be patient and do the job correctly. I use the correct bonding agent too. For some reason that always seems to help.
Eric

/ Neoprene Rubber gluing? #14  
I can't remember the name of the stuff we used when making neoprene gaskets but I do remember it was a two part and it was in a green can and came with a glass bottle which was the hardener. Ask me how I know it was glass :). Sorry I can't remember the name.
Instead of a butt joint you'd be better off scarfing it, give you more gluing area

/ Neoprene Rubber gluing?
As the previous poster Fuddyduddy1952 posted, super glue could be tried. Super glue, which is a cyanoacrylate adhesive, forms a great bond with neoprene rubbers. Are you trying to make a butt joint? If so I don't think any of the super glues will work. But there are some that incorporate neoprene rubber in the adhesive itself and they will probably work for a lap joint. So, if you are using a lap joint, which is the only type of joint I have ever used when joining belting, I think a super glue made for joining rubber would work very well. See the links below for adhesives that may work for you.

There are many other rubber toughened cyanoacrylate adhesives available that would probably work for you but I don't know your particular situation. For sure if you want the best bond then you must make sure that the area to be bonded is very clean. No oils can be present. No dust either. I have seen many bond failures occur because the bond area was not properly cleaned. I have cheated a few times when it came to cleanliness and paid the price of a failed bond. I learned my lesson and have not had a failed bond for at least 40 years. I am very careful now and make sure the area to be bonded is absolutely clean. I learned to be patient and do the job correctly. I use the correct bonding agent too. For some reason that always seems to help.
Eric
I'm laying two pieces over each other. Since this neopere belting will be flexing, this stuff might work.

Vibra-Tite 310 Rubber Toughened – Gap Filling Cyanoacrylate​

/ Neoprene Rubber gluing? #16  
3M super weatherstrip adhesive. Clean both pieces with isopropyl alcohol, apply a thin layer to both pieces holding the tube perpendicular with nozzle Flat to the neoprene squeeze gently while moving the nozzle to coat . Let it dry for about 5 minutes then stick together with good pressure.

Attachments

• 1A208903-696B-407F-9003-787B404FEEED.jpeg
    1A208903-696B-407F-9003-787B404FEEED.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • 3217D3F7-2F9D-4AFC-8F3A-1FCCC240D2A7.jpeg
    3217D3F7-2F9D-4AFC-8F3A-1FCCC240D2A7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
The retailer did get back with me with a suggestion AND it seems the silicone type glue I applied last night seemed to have gripped. I work all day guys so I will later report on what they suggested and how well that stuff worked.

3m Neoprene High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive 1300L is what they recomend. I can't find a 5oz tube of it for less than $25...

/ Neoprene Rubber gluing? #19  
3m Neoprene High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive 1300L is what they recomend. I can't find a 5oz tube of it for less than $25...
If that's the stuff they recommend then that's what I would use. Even at 25 bucks. But apparently you already used silicone adhesive. I hope it does work. If it fails and you want to use another adhesive you will need to remove ALL of the silicone adhesive in order to get a proper bond. I guess, since you have already glued the belting, we will wait for a report from you telling us all how well the silicone worked. It sounds like you are not gonna use the belting for belts, so maybe the best bond won't matter.
Eric

I could pull the test halves apart, but certainly far better bonding than all the other glues I've tried. I ordered the below glue from amazoine which will be arriving on Friday. Maybe I'll find some of this 3m Neoprene High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive to order. :unsure::sick:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GEAR AID Aquaseal NEO Contact Cement for Neoprene and Wetsuit Repair

$7.95 ($5.30 / Fl Oz)