Neighbor's cattle in yard

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #51  
In 50 years here, I've had horses stop thru my strawberries, cattle stray thru the muddy areas leaving deep holes, had some pigs wander thru and even several buffalo, and sheep on the loose. Overall I either tried to help round 'em up or just let the neighbor take care of the situation.

What really pizzed me off was no apology for damages done. Well ...some people are just butt heads.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #52  
I was working a power plant outage with a buddy late one night. He got a call from his neighbor who said my buddy's cows were out, but he was able to round them up and he put them back in my buddy's pasture. Just calling to let him know.

My buddy couldn't bring himself to tell the neighbor that he didn't own any cows.:D

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #53  
There are a few older homes in our little rural town with remnants of cattle gaps in their driveways. Goes back to the free range days, it was your responsibility to keep them out if you cherishEd your yard.

My BIL’s mom got a new car once because one of their cows got out and was hit on the road. Her old car was a quiet settlement to the fellow who hit their wayward cow.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #54  
So I had two pregnant cows come over to my property to give birth. (before I knew this... I usually fire a bird screamer at cows to encourage them to go back...) So if they give birth on my property, do I own them?? JK, called the farmer and he said they will find their way back sooner or later.

Really, I don't have a problem with that...

We leave for 3 or 4 weeks, we come back and one pair is still hanging around. Don't get me wrong, I like the free fertilizer but the mother was pretty skinny and I worried about her. Called the farmer, same reply so I said I'm going to call animal control to make sure all is good...

You would have thought I called the farmer's mother a lady of the night. He flew off the handle and said WHY do you need to do that!!!!

Needless to say the cow and calf were eating at the next hay drop off... (winter time)

(I'll never say THAT again!!!!)

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #55  
Not being a cow person, I still found it odd that one was hanging out in one spot for days, instead of hanging with the herd.

Drove over to see what was, or wasn't, going on and there was a calf on my side of the fence, apparently unable to get back.

Now, I can only see the top of the fence in that area from the house or garage, so couldn't spot the little calf. But the neighbor has a clear view from his house.

Called the neighbor, who came and got the poor little thing. I'm sure it wanted some milk by then.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #56  
Not being a cow person, I still found it odd that one was hanging out in one spot for days, instead of hanging with the herd.

Drove over to see what was, or wasn't, going on and there was a calf on my side of the fence, apparently unable to get back.

Now, I can only see the top of the fence in that area from the house or garage, so couldn't spot the little calf. But the neighbor has a clear view from his house.

Called the neighbor, who came and got the poor little thing. I'm sure it wanted some milk by then.
Sometimes the little ones decide to hang out out side of the fence and only come in to eat. I called one Houdini because he was forever disappearing into the woods until he was like 3 months old. Mom would call when it was time nurse and he'd just worm his way through the fence to eat then go hide again...

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #57  
Interesting read...
I never really gave much thought to "open range" livestock and fencing in or out. We were surrounded by dairy cows growing up, but they never seemed to wander. We do get the occasional horse grazing in our small field.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #58  
Sometimes the little ones decide to hang out out side of the fence and only come in to eat. I called one Houdini because he was forever disappearing into the woods until he was like 3 months old. Mom would call when it was time nurse and he'd just worm his way through the fence to eat then go hide again...
Calves can be real Houdinis. Our first born here disappeared a few hours after birth. We could find her anywhere, and we looked for hours, even checking outside the fence. After five or six hours, and this wasn't a big pasture, we were convinced that a mountain lion had bagged the calf. We were standing, quite despondent, at a higher part of the pasture, and I noticed that the mom had her nose point across the fence into the 3-5' tall grass in the adjacent grass lands. As they say, "Hope springs eternal", and we hustled down to where the mom was and I started tracking along the fence, finally finding a tiny trail leading about a hundred feet into the adjacent grass, where the calf was curled up, dozing. Being new to cattle, we had a heck of time getting the calf back across the fence. My wife got a severe burn from the electric fence wrestling the calf through.

Then the fun began. The calf was annoyed at having been disturbed and starting walking off. One of the other cows was following the calf, but not the mother. It was a three stooges / "Green Acres" act for about six hours with disappearing calves, mothers jumping fences that they haven't jumped before or since, blowing fog, (ever try to find a black and white cow in fog? You can't they are invisible until you are practically touching them), and a half mile trek by the calf across a 45 degree slope to its new favorite place to curl up. All in all it was a twelve hour saga that ended at two am.

Can you say total amateurs? You betcha. I will say that we did get better with experience, but when most of my cattle running neighbors have ranch sizes in the tens to hundreds of thousands of acres, I make no claims to any sort of true expertise.

We use our dogs now to find calves; the dogs love it, and seem to completely understand that the goal is to find the calf, and then stay behind while the calf gets gently steered back into the pasture. Once, one of our dogs found a calf curled up under a bumper pull trailer. I would not have thought that there was room, but apparently there was. Very cosy. I would never have found the calf.

Sixteen years later, we still have the mom. She is our favorite cow. She gave birth two years ago to a gorgeous bull, now standing stud for a new belted Galloway breeder. We think that she is at least nineteen.

All the best,

Peter

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #59  
Calves can be real Houdinis. Our first born here disappeared a few hours after birth. We could find her anywhere, and we looked for hours, even checking outside the fence. After five or six hours, and this wasn't a big pasture, we were convinced that a mountain lion had bagged the calf. We were standing, quite despondent, at a higher part of the pasture, and I noticed that the mom had her nose point across the fence into the 3-5' tall grass in the adjacent grass lands. As they say, "Hope springs eternal", and we hustled down to where the mom was and I started tracking along the fence, finally finding a tiny trail leading about a hundred feet into the adjacent grass, where the calf was curled up, dozing. Being new to cattle, we had a heck of time getting the calf back across the fence. My wife got a severe burn from the electric fence wrestling the calf through.

Then the fun began. The calf was annoyed at having been disturbed and starting walking off. One of the other cows was following the calf, but not the mother. It was a three stooges / "Green Acres" act for about six hours with disappearing calves, mothers jumping fences that they haven't jumped before or since, blowing fog, (ever try to find a black and white cow in fog? You can't they are invisible until you are practically touching them), and a half mile trek by the calf across a 45 degree slope to its new favorite place to curl up. All in all it was a twelve hour saga that ended at two am.

Can you say total amateurs? You betcha. I will say that we did get better with experience, but when most of my cattle running neighbors have ranch sizes in the tens to hundreds of thousands of acres, I make no claims to any sort of true expertise.

We use our dogs now to find calves; the dogs love it, and seem to completely understand that the goal is to find the calf, and then stay behind while the calf gets gently steered back into the pasture. Once, one of our dogs found a calf curled up under a bumper pull trailer. I would not have thought that there was room, but apparently there was. Very cosy. I would never have found the calf.

Sixteen years later, we still have the mom. She is our favorite cow. She gave birth two years ago to a gorgeous bull, now standing stud for a new belted Galloway breeder. We think that she is at least nineteen.

All the best,

Peter
I remember the rodeos in the first couple of years. I'm sure you found that once the cows and you are on the same page life gets much easier. Now I can just call them from the main pasture and they'll come to get fed. The little ones will do all sort of crazy stuff but if I see them once a day (after the first 24--48) and they are alive I call it good.
I had my herd bull get sick and die on me, now to find a replacement Dexter and hope he will be half a docile as Norman was. You could anything with that boy with minimal effort.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #60  
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Does your county or state have an Estray law?

Sec. 142.003. DISCOVERY OF ESTRAY; NOTICE. (a) If an estray, without being herded with other livestock, roams about the property of a person without that person's permission or roams about public property, the owner of the private property or the custodian of the public property, as applicable, shall, as soon as reasonably possible, report the presence of the estray to the sheriff of the county in which the estray is discovered.
(b) After receiving a report under Subsection (a) of this section that an estray has been discovered on private property, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall notify the owner, if known, that the estray's location has been reported.
(c) After receiving a report under Subsection (a) that an estray has been discovered on public property, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall notify the owner, if known, that the estray's location has been reported, except that if the sheriff or the sheriff's designee determines that the estray is dangerous to the public, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee may immediately impound the estray without notifying the owner.
(d) If the owner does not immediately remove the estray:
(1) the sheriff or the sheriff's designee may proceed with the impoundment process prescribed by Section 142.009; or
(2) if a perilous condition exists, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee may proceed with disposition of the estray under Section 142.015.

Regarding cattle on the roadway causing an accident:
There is no common law duty for Texas animal owners to prevent their animals from running at large. Instead, Texas is an open range state. There are, however, two statutory duties to restrain livestock. The first is under Texas Agriculture Code Section 143.102, which says that a person may not “knowingly permit” an animal to roam at large on a state or US highway. Liability is imposed if a person (1) owns or has responsibility for the control of an animal and (2) knowingly permits the animal to run at large on a state or US highway. The second is found in Texas Agriculture Code Section 143.074, which allows counties to hold elections to enact a local stock law that will prohibit owners from permitting animals to run at large in the county. In situations, such as this case, where both statutory standards could apply, the Texas Supreme Court made clear it is the higher “knowingly permit” standard under Section 143.102 that a plaintiff must prove in order to recover.