Neighbor's cattle in yard

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #21  
In my case if the cows are in my yard they can end up in the road which is a traffic hazard. Maybe the sheriff can right a ticket for traffic hazard?
Here if they get on a state or US highway it doesn't matter which county, it's on the owner of the cattle.

If I hit a cow on a county or FM road, I have to compensate the owner of the cow. If it's on a state or federal road, it's the cow's fault.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #23  
I am a township supervisor. We have a complaint from a resident whose yard keeps getting messed up by cattle from the beef farm across the road. We're not talking about a large farmer, about 20 beef cows and their calves. I've checked his fences and from what I can see without going on his property, they are very good meeting fence guidelines. That the cattle get out is no question. The resident complaining has called the county sheriff about it. The deputy who visited agreed, cattle from the neighbor, but there is nothing the sheriff's department can do about it. A little more about this farmer - he is in his upper 50s and lost his main job as an equipment operator due to a DUI. Last planting season, I was driving down the county road past his place and saw him lying in the middle of the road arms and legs flailing. His tractor was in the ditch alongside. I stopped to go help and he told me he was okay, go on. He had a 12 pack of beer in one had and a single can in the other, had fallen off the tractor which stalled in the ditch, and was trying to get up. Needless to say he has a bad drinking problem. My suspicion is he forgets to close gates when he feeds his cattle. The cattle go out across the road where although mid-winter, we still have no snow and the standing second crop is much better than the hay this cattleman is trying to feed them. Has anyone run into something like this before? The home owner (who also owns the hayfields around her house) has talked to the owners wife several times and has been told that that's the way it is. Does anybody have any suggestions?
From here:

In Minnesota, a livestock owner is bound by the common law duty to keep the livestock restrained on the owner's land. Minnesota Statutes, sections 346.16, 561.09, and 609.605 strengthen this common law duty by making it unlawful for an owner or person having control of livestock to permit the animals to run at large.

As for suggestions....
I'd ask the cattle owner for money for repairs to my property caused by his cattle for a start.

I'd also mention that the cattle owner is most likely liable for anyone that gets injured by his cattle, car accidents and such.

I could think of worse things than a cow in my yard, but still, they should be kept in.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #26  
I'

I've done that with horses.
Me too but I tried that with the neighbor's bull. Mistake. It was a Beefmaster Limousine cross. I thought it was close by but it wasn't and the closer I got the bigger it got!
Taller than a horse and way bigger than my golf cart ! :LOL: We were lucky it wanted to go home.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #28  
Refrigerator, freezer, ribeyes, tenderloins, chuck, and burger.
Except that is rustling. I suppose if they changed the law and people could keep wandering cattle it would encourage keeping them in better.

On the other hand, I've been around beef enough to know it is nigh on impossible to keep them penned in if they want out.

If I see cattle out, I try to help the owner get them back where they belong (it the situation allows for it).

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #29  
Cows will get out no matter how good the fences are. I get them occasionally in my back yard from the neighbor, I just text them their cows are out, or I try to chase them in if I can by my self.
Yep, this is spot on. Some livestock will escape no matter what . . . like I have posted before I have seen bulls sprout wings (kind of my fault, I hit him with the wisdom stick).