Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
It happened last week and he is still in ICU. He did NOT have a helmet on and has severe head injuries. Female on back had on a helmet and only had minor injuries. Buzzard killed instantly.

Guys if you ride, wear a helmet. The nurses in the family always comment, "There goes an organ donor", when a helmetless rider goes by.

RSKY

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #2  
I agree, wear a helmet. I sold my bike 9 years ago. Got too scary out there.

Son in law got a bike about 2 years ago. Last year we got a frantic call from our daughter. She found him wrecked in the middle of the 4 lane road a couple miles from there house :eek: And older couple missed there turn, whipped into the turn lane, and crossed over the line into his lane. Hit him head on at 55mph. He totalled the Chevy s10 with his body. Was touch and go for a while. Had a brain bleed, broken bones and multiple surgeries. Was out of work for 8 months, before he could go back on light duty.

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #3  
2013 I hit a deer at near 80 kph (50 mph) while on my 1982 BMW. Two weeks in hospital and slept in a chair for 3 months with 16 broken bones, punctured lung and lots of road rash. Without a doubt had I not been wearing a helmet, at the very least, my left ear would be missing from grinding on the pavement.

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #4  
I quit riding almost 10 years ago. Too many people not paying attention and it's only gotten worse since. Though if the right Norton or R90 came along I wouldn't mind putting around the block a bit on a Sunday.

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #5  
Helmets are hot and uncomfortable in the Texas heat, but I wore one most of the time. Fortunately, never crashed.

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #6  
I gave up riding 15-20 years ago for no reason and now convincing my wife I need another motorcycle falls on deaf ears. She knows how distracted I get by the farmers field or the nice tractor in the field or the guy cutting down a tree, etc. Plus, I find it hard enough to keep my truck off the right line. In Tennessee it seems most of the back-roads have a 2-3' drop at the line. No forgiveness with those roads.

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #7  
I have a few motorcycles and still enjoying riding, BUT I never ride without a helmet!

SR

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #8  
We call the donercycles here in our hospital. At least we have helmet laws here in NY

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #9  
I was 18 when I quit riding. I'm 70 now and don't miss it one bit.

/ Neighbor hit buzzard.....on motorcycle #10  
I gave up riding 15 years ago when an elderly guy in an el camino pulled out in front of me causing me to fly over the bed of it at 50 mph, broke both legs, wrist and several fingers but i had a helmet on and it was cracked on the left side from my head hitting the asphalt. I cant imagine riding without a helmet. Its amazing how a lot of riders think it makes them free or tough looking to ride without one, plain stupid if you ask me. Im glad I gave up riding because today with so many people on cell phones its got to be unreal out there.