3-Point Hitch Need to Remove 47 Backhoe and Rockshaft Won't Move

/ Need to Remove 47 Backhoe and Rockshaft Won't Move
I suspect you have the same classic problem a lot of the 3x20 and 4x20 tractor series have with the Backhoe and I've had the same issue. That is the 3ph lift arms will not lift the BH high enough to allow L bolt removal/insertion. Some folks have adjusted the up stop setting on the 3ph lift arms to get more lift. I've done this on one of mine. I've also fixed another by putting bushings on the 3ph lift arms where they fit into the BH slots. I used the bushings for converting from cat 1 to cat 2 3ph available from Tractor Supply for a couple of bucks and this works fine if you only need a fraction of an inch.

Hi sunnyside360. I wish it were that simple. I have experimented with the control and position adjustments but I still don't get movement up or down. I've also tried setting the drop rate control valve in several positions from closed to full open with no reaction. I suspect it's a problem in the rockshaft control valve but I will have to wait until I can open it up to find out. In the meantime the weeds just keep growing! :)
I may repost in the hydraulics section and see if they can help. Thanks.

/ Need to Remove 47 Backhoe and Rockshaft Won't Move #12  
You don't have a "problem". When the backhoe is active, the 3PH is disabled so it won't move. There are two return line connections, one goes directly to the tank (bypassing the 3PH valve) and is used when the hoe is mounted, the other feeds the 3PH valve.

Do you have the manual for the hoe? It describes the procedure to park the hoe, then how to disconnect the hydraulics from the hoe and reconnect then to the proper return line.

Here is the online version of the manual: OMLVU13145_K5

/ Need to Remove 47 Backhoe and Rockshaft Won't Move
Xxxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxx
Xxxxxxx
Xxxxxx
Xxxxx
You don't have a "problem". When the backhoe is active, the 3PH is disabled so it won't move. There are two return line connections, one goes directly to the tank (bypassing the 3PH valve) and is used when the hoe is mounted, the other feeds the 3PH valve.

Do you have the manual for the hoe? It describes the procedure to park the hoe, then how to disconnect the hydraulics from the hoe and reconnect then to the proper return line.

Hello kennyd. You're correct, I don't have a problem, but my tractor does! :)
Yes, I have the backhoe manual and since I began this thread I have also acquired the technical manual for the 4200. I have followed the directions, with removal and connection of the hydraulic lines, very carefully but to no avail. When I get to the part where I need to move the rockshaft to remove pins and drop the hoe I hit the wall. Now I suspect the rockshaft valve or drop rate valve assembly. Since the backhoe has never been removed it makes sense that their inactivity for a dozen years could result in frozen parts.
There is one other factor but I'm not familiar enough with the hydraulic system to know if it is a possible cause of my problem. The previous owner had a bad leak in the steering pump so he replaced it. It's my understanding that the steering pump is yoked to another hydraulic pump on the steering column and I wonder if a botched installation of the steering pump could have anything to do with my immobile rockshaft? Still open to suggestions. Thanks!

Here is the online version of the manual: OMLVU13145_K5

/ Need to Remove 47 Backhoe and Rockshaft Won't Move #14  
LOL... Well Kenny, I think you figure it out for him.

/ Need to Remove 47 Backhoe and Rockshaft Won't Move #15  
This is what I do-- so far it has worked every time.

Fully lube all fittings.

Park on a FLAT surface-- critical due to the way the BH mates to the tractor. If it is not flat the surfaces will be in contact creating a lateral force and a potentially hazardous condition if the built up forces are suddenly released.

Pull the pins.

Use the out riggers and the arm to raise the BH off the hooks.

Pull forward a couple of inches-- ONLY a couple of inches!!

Unhook the hydraulic lines.

Relieve pressure.

Replace pins.

Spray rams with some white lithium to keep them protected from the weather.

Drive tractor off to next project.

Re-install in reverse order.

/ Need to Remove 47 Backhoe and Rockshaft Won't Move #16  
Thanks for the info.

/ Need to Remove 47 Backhoe and Rockshaft Won't Move #17  
After reading the installation and removal instructions in the John Deere manual and EMcphee/Kennyd instructions I would think that by now it's pretty plain that you need to remove the hydraulic hoses from the backhoe and connect them properly to your tractor for the three point to operate.

/ Need to Remove 47 Backhoe and Rockshaft Won't Move #18  
If you have a hydraulic lift cylinder for a mower you might want to check it's position. Also check positioning for all three point levers.