Need tire suggestions for wifes car.

/ Need tire suggestions for wifes car. #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
Wife's car needs new tires and I thought I would ask here if anyone has a favorite brand. No more Michelin or Kelly's for me. We live where we get snow, so I'm thinking some sort of all season tire. Good mileage would be a plus and a good snow rating also. Thanks in advance. RRM

/ Need tire suggestions for wifes car. #3  
All season tires are crappy in the snow I have snow tires mounted on rims and just swap them over fast and easy...

/ Need tire suggestions for wifes car. #4  
I have gone through many different brands and types. Don't know why you don't like Michelin unless you had the wrong style, but the LTX/MS now known as the Defender, is they only thing I run. Have also noticed that other brands are now copying the tread design. Even the Michelin A/T is not as good as the Defender for everyday use, especially in inclimate weather.

/ Need tire suggestions for wifes car. #5  
All season tires are crappy in the snow I have snow tires mounted on rims and just swap them over fast and easy...

Agree. Any manufactures snow and ice tire will be superiour to an all season tire for winter driving. However, for some the added expense and storage space is not doable, so a good all season is the popular compromise (emphasis intended!)

/ Need tire suggestions for wifes car. #6  
I’m not sure if they make it in the size you need but I bought a set of general grabber atx tires last winter
They are an all terrain tire that is winter rated with the “three peak mountain snowflake” symbol
When I purchased them they were rated either #1 or #2 for snow and ice traction out of all the tires on tire rack

I would recommend these tires to anyone looking for a great all year long tire

/ Need tire suggestions for wifes car. #7  
That’s a tough one. I generally like Goodyear tires but they always seem to last the shortest time. Assurances are a good all season. I have also got some Coopers in the past. Cheaper than Goodyear by quite a bit but I can’t recommend a particular tire. Tire Rack is a great resource, lots of tests and feedback from customers but you have to kind of sort through it to get the info you want.

/ Need tire suggestions for wifes car. #8  
I run General Altimax Artic tires on the wife's car in the winter and OEMs in the summer. All Season doesn't mean good in the winter. It means it sorta does everything....sorta.

/ Need tire suggestions for wifes car. #9  
Also I forgot to mention,
The general grabber atx has provisions for studs and the tire thread itself is soft and pliable.
It might be classified as an all terrain tire, but it’s definitely not your typical all terrain.
The snow / ice rating beats many “winter” tires on tire rack

/ Need tire suggestions for wifes car. #10  
Also I forgot to mention,
The general grabber atx has provisions for studs and the tire thread itself is soft and pliable.
It might be classified as an all terrain tire, but it’s definitely not your typical all terrain.
The snow / ice rating beats many “winter” tires on tire rack

From tire rack site:
Note: 3PMSF-branded (the "three peak mountain snowflake” symbol) all-season and all-terrain tires cannot match the traction of dedicated winter / snow tires in all winter weather conditions and should not be considered a replacement for where and when a dedicated winter tire is needed.