need suggestion on wood chipper

/ need suggestion on wood chipper #1  

wyatt097

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492, John Deere 5050
Hi, I'm looking for a used/new small PTO wood chipper to use on my JD 5038 (38 horsepower). Here are some chippers I found, willing to hear your experience on them. They looks quite similar weight with each other, so I assume they are similar chipper.
Woodmaxx MX8500g $2525, best reputation compare with others

Titan WCBX42 $2100

Victory BX42S $1920

NovaTractor BX52 $1700

/ need suggestion on wood chipper #2  
If you can swing it, the woodmax wm 8h is great. The reverse helps clear jams and the auto feed makes it pretty much a one person job without needing to tend the hopper.

/ need suggestion on wood chipper #3  
I'd look at Woodland Mills also. I used to have a Woodmaxx 8H, it was an alright chipper for what it was. I sold it when I purchased a Bandit 90.

None of the chippers you linked to have a powered infeed, which might be limiting unless all that you have to chip is very straight.

Comparing the woodland mills to the woodmaxx I had, I like a lot of the features that woodland mills offers. I have their stump grinder and one of their sawmills, I think the bang for the buck is excellent.

/ need suggestion on wood chipper
If you can swing it, the woodmax wm 8h is great. The reverse helps clear jams and the auto feed makes it pretty much a one person job without needing to tend the hopper.
thank you for the suggestion, I see many commons on woodmaxx wm8h, good reputation, but my budget is around 2k, not too much work so I m fine with a small gravity feeding chipper.

Last edited:
   / need suggestion on wood chipper #5  
I've had two Wallenstein chippers. First was a BX42S - now a BX62S. Fantastic chippers. Both models have been upgraded by Wallenstein. I chip ONLY small pines. 1" to 6" on the butt. Every other year - 800 to 1200 small pines - thinning my pine stands. So... no need for the hydraulic in-feed option.

I would recommend the smaller Wallenstein - BX52S - but, LORDY - the price increase on Wallenstein chippers is astronomic.

If I were looking to purchase a new chipper today - I would definitely consider brands other than Wally. Just because of the price.

/ need suggestion on wood chipper #6  
I shopped the heck out of chippers 2 years back and ended up with the Victory 8H mostly due to lead time ( got mine delivered less than 3 weeks after order), free shipping and price. It is, for all intents and purposes, a Woodmax or Woodland Mills 8H clone. My only really dislike is the lack of a folding chute. The customer service has been terrific.

/ need suggestion on wood chipper #7  
thank you for the suggestion, I see many commons on woodmaxx wm8h, good reputation, but my budget is around 2k, not too much work so I m fine with a small gravity feeding chipper.
At 38 HP (32 PTO?) I don't think you have enough to spare for self feeding. I think you're on the right track. I have a WoodMaxx 8800 and love it to death, very solid construction and easy to open up for maintenance/blade changes etc.. I think it's one of the "mostly" American made chippers available depending on the model.

/ need suggestion on wood chipper #8  
I bought used S&R ProChip about 25 years ago (no longer in business) and was just using it yesterday for fir branches.
It's a perfect match for my needs & my small (19 HP) tractor and based on my use there is no way I would buy a PTO chipper without feeder!

S&R has a mechanical drive feed which is OK, but it lacks feed roller speed adjusting unlike current chippers with hydraulic drive feeders have.

I like the Woodland Mills models features like easy opening access for service etc.

5770.png IMG_5766.JPG

Last edited:
   / need suggestion on wood chipper #9  
I shopped the heck out of chippers 2 years back and ended up with the Victory 8H mostly due to lead time ( got mine delivered less than 3 weeks after order), free shipping and price. It is, for all intents and purposes, a Woodmax or Woodland Mills 8H clone. My only really dislike is the lack of a folding chute. The customer service has been terrific.

The Woodland Mills chippers are a different design from the Woodmaxx 8H. In many ways they look better but I ended up with a Woodmaxx 8H mostly because from videos it looks like it feeds easier than the Woodland Mills single feed roller design.

I also have an older MacKissick self feeding chipper. Having had both power feed and self feed, I would not want another self feed chipper. Power feed is much safer and is also easier to operate.

/ need suggestion on wood chipper #10  
When the knives of a 'self feeding' chipper get dull, it's like a 1/2 of a chipper in my experience.