Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #21  
The 6.0L in the HD doesn’t have cylinder deactivation, if that’s what you mean with “valve deactivation”.
Don't know. My wife's new Suburban LTZ did until I deactivated it. Other ting I do is remove the now standard running boards / steps. Nothing but crud catchers that cause premature rusting of the rockers up here in calcium chloride states in the winter. Totally worthless add on from the factory.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #23  
When I was truck shopping 5 years ago, my priorities were a capable, (towing, payload, w/ 4WD) low-mile machine with no rust that fit my modest budget. When an '03 2500HD w/ 6.0L showed up on craigslist with only 88k miles and no rust (from new mexico), I had to jump on it for 13.5k. Probably still worth almost that much today even with 112k miles now.

The 6.0L is arguably the MOST RELIABLE engine ever put in a pickup. Seriously. My earlier year vortec 6.0L only has 300 BHP, but you know what? It still moves along just fine, and pulls 10k lbs without much anxiety. My 4L80 trans is the main limiting factor for obtaining decent mpg. A 6, 8 or even 10 speed would probably add a few mpg in daily driving. I get 12-15 unloaded. 9-10 when pulling my 5k lb camper.
I would think a 2016 6.0L could get mid teens all day long.

I saw OP lives in Louisiana and first thought was, ok, 2WD probably ok. But then wait, don't you have MUD on your farm? surely.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #24  
Don't know. My wife's new Suburban LTZ did until I deactivated it. Other ting I do is remove the now standard running boards / steps. Nothing but crud catchers that cause premature rusting of the rockers up here in calcium chloride states in the winter. Totally worthless add on from the factory.

I don’t think they ever put a 6.0 in a half ton suburban.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD
When I was truck shopping 5 years ago, my priorities were a capable, (towing, payload, w/ 4WD) low-mile machine with no rust that fit my modest budget. When an '03 2500HD w/ 6.0L showed up on craigslist with only 88k miles and no rust (from new mexico), I had to jump on it for 13.5k. Probably still worth almost that much today even with 112k miles now.

The 6.0L is arguably the MOST RELIABLE engine ever put in a pickup. Seriously. My earlier year vortec 6.0L only has 300 BHP, but you know what? It still moves along just fine, and pulls 10k lbs without much anxiety. My 4L80 trans is the main limiting factor for obtaining decent mpg. A 6, 8 or even 10 speed would probably add a few mpg in daily driving. I get 12-15 unloaded. 9-10 when pulling my 5k lb camper.
I would think a 2016 6.0L could get mid teens all day long.

I saw OP lives in Louisiana and first thought was, ok, 2WD probably ok. But then wait, don't you have MUD on your farm? surely.

Oh definitely. Not in areas I would go with the truck. I use the ATV in those areas. Most of the farm is hard ground, well established pasture and hard red dirt.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #26  
The 6.0L is arguably the MOST RELIABLE engine ever put in a pickup.

Agreed. The fact that they had a 20 year production run and not one person in this thread has had anything bad to say which is probably a first speaks volumes for them. The one I had was still running with over 300k when I sold it. One of my buddies drove one for a year with no oil pressure. It had oil in the pan but it was verified with a manual gauge it had no oil pressure. Their cousin motor the 366 is also extremely reliable. They’ve been running wide open in medium duty trucks since the 60s. They’re not fast or fuel efficient but they get the job done.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #27  
^ yeah. The ford 300ci inline 6cyl would probably be my other top choice for most reliable, but it's a little before my time. Not too many left out there these days either.

To clarify for everyone, GM has multiple 6.0L small blocks. We are talking about the iron-block LQ4, with zero fancy bullshit.

I'd love to swap the cam in mine to pick up ~50 BHP. Maybe someday I'll get the courage to tackle that, along with an electric fan conversion. The big mechanical fan sucks up real HP and mpg.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #28  
My 2012 has been a great truck. Reliable as a stone (like a rock? :))
I looked for trucks with the 3.73 gears thinking I could drive easily and get decent mileage when unloaded. Nope. I can almost get 14mpgs if I really try on the highway. Seems like guys with the 4.10 gears get the same mileage. That would be my only complaint of this truck.

I tow with mine occasionally and she tows the trailer (CUT with implements ~7000lbs) very well and with more pep than my 03 F450 with the 7.3L diesel.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #29  
2012.jpg

I pulled it out of the garage to take photos for a possible trade. It doesn't get driven in the winter so it stays in nice shape. The sales lady that received the photo said "What is that white damage on the side?" "That's the reflection of snow banks and my Honda in the background." Needless to say, I didn't buy a truck from them. Shortly after this was taken I had heated seats and a Bluetooth radio installed and have all I want.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #30  
^ yeah. The ford 300ci inline 6cyl would probably be my other top choice for most reliable, but it's a little before my time. Not too many left out there these days either.

To clarify for everyone, GM has multiple 6.0L small blocks. We are talking about the iron-block LQ4, with zero fancy bullshit.

I'd love to swap the cam in mine to pick up ~50 BHP. Maybe someday I'll get the courage to tackle that, along with an electric fan conversion. The big mechanical fan sucks up real HP and mpg.
I still have my 1977 Ford 3/4T 4x4 pickup with 300cu.in. inline 6.
I bought it brand new in 1977.