Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
Not the best market to buy in right now I know. Looking at this truck, 6.0 gas, 2wd, 4.11 gears for our farm tow vehicle. Work truck package. Power windows, power locks, vinyl seats and rubber floors. Give me some opinions. I am familiar with GM as we own a 2015 Yukon XL, but never owner a 2500 or 6.0.
IMG_0270.JPG

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #2  
The 6.0L gas engine was around a very long time and though not very powerful, compared to its competition, it is known for its incredible reliability, even under work conditions. I would be more concerned about 2wd, on a farm.

Conventional tow rating of 13k, gooseneck/fifth wheel at 14,300, isn’t bad.

Here is a factory brochure on it.

450A73F4-6F08-4222-A8AD-63C1E9894E51.png

I never owned one, but when I worked for the county, the shop had several of them. Theirs were all boringly reliable and trouble-free. Of course, they bought new and buying used always has its risks.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #3  
I have an ‘06 spec’d pretty much the same that I use for a fuel and tool truck now. I don’t think I have ever owned a more reliable machine of any kind. My only regret is I didn’t buy it in 4wd. Its been dragged, pushed and/or pulled to the pavement more times than I care to think about.

Edit: Oh yeah, you can’t actually watch the gas guage go down but if you look away and back real quick, you can tell it moved. 😂

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #4  
Not my favorite front end design but a 6.0 is as reliable as it gets.

Last edited:
   / Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #5  
I have a 2017 2500HD with the 6.0, but mine is four wheel drive and has the 4:10’s back. I traded my half ton for it about a year ago.

Ive had around 8500 pounds behind it and it tows really really well. The 6.0’s are pretty much bullet proof and have been around quite a long time, I wanted a newer truck but didn’t want to gamble on the newer 6.6 gasser yet.

I get around 10-12 miles a gallon on average with my mixed highway and city driving. The personal best was 16 on a highway run. I recently did around a 225 mile round trip bringing my new trailer back that’s probably close to 3k empty and averaged almost 14, not to terrible imo. I pretty much ran 60-65 MPH on that deal.

For a 3/4 ton truck it rides better than other ones I’ve drove in the past, this is the first one I’ve personally owned before for what it’s worth. It’s not a turd power wise but obviously you won’t win any races against any diesels. Not sure how much or often you tow, for me it’s not a lot. But the truck is more than capable for my needs to pull the stuff I’ve got, helping buddy’s out or picking up a skid steer once in a while.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #6  
6.0 in my '12 2500HD 4-WD sounds/runs like new at >220,000 mi. Truck rides much smoother that my '99 K-2500 4-WD did. IIRC both had/have 3.73:1 gears. Except for towing I hardly drive it so can't comment on mileage, but I wouldn't trade it.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #7  
Edit: Oh yeah, you can’t actually watch the gas guage go down but if you look away and back real quick, you can tell it moved.
At 3.30 plus a gallon, you'll be watching closely...My only issue with GM's in general is the valve deactivation. It's bad Ju Ju. Wife bought a new Suburban and I deleted it (valve cut out), immediately.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #8  
Not my favorite front end design but a 6.0 is as reliable as it gets.
getting hard to tell a GM from a Stelantis (Dodge Ram). They look the same in the front and it's all blow moulded plastic.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #9  
<snip>It’s not a turd power wise but obviously you won’t win any races against any diesels. <snip>
I've a Ford 1988 7.3L IDI diesel - I'm sure he would win:)
I have to call down to the engine room for more power!

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #10  
At 3.30 plus a gallon, you'll be watching closely...My only issue with GM's in general is the valve deactivation. It's bad Ju Ju. Wife bought a new Suburban and I deleted it (valve cut out), immediately.

The 6.0L in the HD doesn’t have cylinder deactivation, if that’s what you mean with “valve deactivation”.