Need help with baler

/ Need help with baler #1  

Jim2007

Tractor
Mahindra 6065
I decided this year to bale my own hay to save the cost of custom baling. Bought a vermeer 504 Super I. Looked Decent shape and after getting everything lubed and attached fired her up and baled about 30 bales of prairie hay without missing a beat. Monitor worked great and auto tied great tight bales. Disconnected to mow a bit more. Reconnected tonight and the first bale sucked all my twine from one roll in before I realized it and wouldn't tell me it was full and wouldn't auto tie. Had to dump the bale that was tied very well at the center only. Cut the twine at the tube and tried again. Same thing. Sucks twine in from the start and won't tie when the bale gets full size. I can manual tie after several attempts but it won't auto tie. I tried three more bales and never got a full sign on the monitor and used up another couple rolls of twine. Any help would appreciated. To top it off it's going to rain tonight.

/ Need help with baler #2  
I have absolutely no clue, but in general, if something's working fine, and then doesn't work after disconnecting and reconnecting, then something most likely was not reconnected properly.

If it were me, I would disconnect everything again, inspect all of the connecting points closely (especially any wiring harnesses), and then re-connect everything.

Simplistic, but sometimes that works.

/ Need help with baler #3  
Welcome to TBN
Can you not see twine dangling from end of twine tubes when seated on tractor seat? Too bad Vermeer balers didn't have visual twine application notification similar to some other brand balers.

Due to baler operating correctly then not operating correctly after disconnection/reconnection my guess is you have a bad connection on monitor wiring harness between baler & tractor. I suggest to check for bent pin in electrical quick disconnect assembly.

/ Need help with baler #4  
Post #2 & #3 are right. I’d agree something’s not reconnected properly.
Had similar issue yesterday. Baler wasn’t building pressure after it worked fine on Friday. Turns out my pressure side hydraulic hose had just barely become disconnected.

Try reconnecting everything and check electrical connections as Tx Jim said for any bent pins or debris in the little pin sockets. Spray them out good with electrical connection cleaner.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

/ Need help with baler #5  
Depending on the age and bales ran, you might consider either stoning the twine cutter knives or flipping them over as most cutter knives have double edges. Sure sounds like a bent connector pin or a broken or pulled out wire in the monitor to baler connections. I like to keep mine coated with dielectric grease and mine have not in use covers that cover both the tractor and baler connectors when not in use.

/ Need help with baler #6  
One thing to always keep in mind as well is harness stretching and relaxing when making a turn. You can literally pull out pins and cause wire failure when turning if the harness from the tractor to the bailer isn't routed correctly and there isn't enough 'initial slack' in the harness to allow for turns. A revolving pto shaft in contact with a harness will quickly destroy wires from the constant rubbing, one reason I always tether my pto shields to the tractor and bailer so they don't revolve and as an additional safeguard, I wrap my harness with spiral wire loom wrap when it's in close proximity to any moving parts.

Sounds to me like you either pulled a connector apart, bent a pin when hooking up or possibly bared a wire in the harness.

I multi meter will tell you if there is an open circuit.

/ Need help with baler
Thanks for all the replies. Today this afternoon I'm gonna check the wiring pins and give her a good once over.

/ Need help with baler
Well I got the hay put up. The problem seems to be the monitor keeps telling the tie arms to extend at random times. If I turn the monitor off till the baler is full then turn it on I can manual tie just fine. If I leave the monitor on it randomly tells the arms to extend in the middle of the bale. Not sure if there is an intermittent short in a wire or if the monitor is bad. I think i can baby it thru this season. Do the auto tie monitors just have to be replaced or can they be reprogrammed if bad

/ Need help with baler #9  
You need to check the clearances on the proximity sensors on the twine arm's themselves before you delve into the monitor. There will be a specific clearance call out in the shop manual for the bailer and if you don't have one, a dealer who sells that make of bailer will have access to that dimension. The proximity sensors have very specific clearance values and are adjustable.

/ Need help with baler
I'll check into that thanks. They sent me an operators manual and parts manual. I'll ask for the shop manual.