Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #41  
I bought my 11kw, Generac built V twin in 2014. I run it on a direct line to a 500 gallon Propane tank. Once a year I change the filter and oil and use 10w-30 full synthetic. With the Propane fuel, the oil comes out about as clear as it was going in. I have had numerous outages and it runs a checkup run for 15 minutes once a week.

That's my story.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #42  
IMHO only regular oil 10W30 as being that old the
synthetic oil just might dissolve the gaskets

willy

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator
I went with 10W30 for the winter and Briggs and Stratton 30W for the summer. All good. :)

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #44  
Great thread with a lot of knowledge being posted; I also have a question regarding the 1st svc, if I may toss in on this.

My 22Kw Generac (LPG fed) was installed about a year ago, I ordered up a filter change kit with the needed filters, plugs, etc, opened it up about 2 months ago and the computer showed it was still under hrs for the 1st svc; Now fast forward to last week and the green svc light on the side is now showing a split orange / green, so I think it's agreeing now that it's ready for the 1st svc.

I live in Middle-GA, no sustained freezing temps during winter and this unit will run mostly in hot temps; So my question for the gents that have posted above mentioning their experience as actual Generac Svc techs: Should I go with a heavier-weight synthetic oil, such as 20W-50 being that most usage is during our hotter summer months, or am I over thinking this?

I don't want to void warranty, but I'm also never going to allow anyone to try to sell me the retardation-level svc plan that the sales weasel tried to get my wife to sign before I heard what they were talking about; He quickly changed his tone when I walked up and politely stated that "We don't pay anyone to do oil / filter changes on this property" 😉

I've already looked over the unit, it's a super simple Svc, about as complicated as doing a quick svc to my Scag; no issues with doing any of it myself, just wanted to check in with the true professionals regarding oil or any other concerns.

Thanks in advance! Best regards,
Greg

Last edited:
   / Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator
Great thread with a lot of knowledge being posted; I also have a question regarding the 1st svc, if I may toss in on this.

My 22Kw Generac (LPG fed) was installed about a year ago, I ordered up a filter change kit with the needed filters, plugs, etc, opened it up about 2 months ago and the computer showed it was still under hrs for the 1st svc; Now fast forward to last week and the green svc light on the side is now showing a split orange / green, so I think it's agreeing now that it's ready for the 1st svc.

I live in Middle-GA, no sustained freezing temps during winter and this unit will run mostly in hot temps; So my question for the gents that have posted above mentioning their experience as actual Generac Svc techs: Should I go with a heavier-weight synthetic oil, such as 20W-50 being that most usage is during our hotter summer months, or am I over thinking this?

I don't want to void warranty, but I'm also never going to allow anyone to try to sell me the retardation-level svc plan that the sales weasel tried to get my wife to sign before I heard what they were talking about; He quickly changed his tone when I walked up and politely stated that "We don't pay anyone to do oil / filter changes on this property" 😉

I've already looked over the unit, it's a super simple Svc, about as complicated as doing a quick svc to my Scag; no issues with doing any of it myself, just wanted to check in with the true professionals regarding oil or any other concerns.

Greg
Let me offer that I run a lot of equipment that is on-road and off road. Not a lot of small equipment but I know a lot of guys with many small engines usually run under duress. In many decades, I have learned to go with the manufacturer's manual. Synthetic is OK if stated and it usually is. I still go with dino oil for the first hours because small engines don't get the mfg quality of a bigger engine and who knows how the cylinder bores are prepped. That's the only wive's tale I follow.

The only timeI have ever used 20W50 synthetic oil was in a farm truck hauling hay up and down the big hills of rural New England. I had a '73 Ford F 600 with a reman engine known for its low oil pressure. I installed a Melling high volume (not high pressure) oil pump since volume is more important than pressure in that engine. In order to get more pressure I went with 15W50 synthetic oil.

The pressure picked up dramatically and all was good. In retrospect of passing years, I've learned not to do that. Many engines require thinner oils and the thicker oils could cause flow and volume problems. I don't know this for sure but have read about and talked with smarter engineer and industry performance car people and come away with that opinion.

Even in my car and truck engines. I used to avoid the required 0W20 and mix some of this and that for a thicker blend. Not any more, unless towing. Then I use the mfg recommendation of a 5W20 or 5W30 for a while. Like you, I also will change my own oil until the last possible moment but I have found a backup guy I can trust for that time.

I believe we overthink oil and that the worst oil of today is better than the best oil of not that long ago. I can't imagine any of us would have an oil issue following mfg specs.

Last edited:
   / Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #46  

Greg
Theres a chart in the manual that specifies oil weights for different temp ranges. Personally, i only use mobil1 5-w30 full synthetic, but im in a colder climate.

once you get between around 25 hours the22 kw will require a valve adjustment. Make sure you adjust them on the proper top dead center (there are 2) or you can destroy engine.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #47  
….

Greg
For you guys with an automatic standby generator…be sure to DISABLE it before starting your service work. You wouldn’t be the first one to have it suddenly start up while you’re in the middle of draining the oil. That would make a service plan cheap by comparison….😬